THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

:( Who Says RCBS has good customer service???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lord, Im glad I have no such device in my reloading room...I'm still tossing charges out of my two powder measures Ive had for near a century, One of which is a RCBS the other a Redding and I'm so used to them I seldom even bother to weigh a load anymore, just inspect them visually before seating bullets, Im never off a half grain, but use powder that pretth much fills the case to the neck or more..That tossing comes from years of getting used to the measure and knowing how to toss each load the same, time after time, believe it or not. BTW, I am anti digital by nature and computer ig. Roll Eyes

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And of course they are in business to sell stuff, right? So what contributes more to the bottom line, selling a new high dollar electronic powder dispenser to the same customer every few years, or selling him one good quality mechanical beam balance that will last 40 years or more? The rest of the world figured this out with washing machines, tv's, cars, and just about everything else decades ago. The only surprise here is that it took loading equipment manufacturers as long as it has. We live in a world in which the consumer isn't as much a valued customer as he is a kind of "victim" and a number to be figured into the bottom line. .... And the surest way to keep selling more "stuff" is to make sure it wears out on schedule so the "victim" has to buy more.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
H47,
Sadly...I believe you have hit the nail on the head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37888 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H47, I agree on what you said with the exception of cars. Due to the competitive impact from Japanese manufacturers and their quality emphasis based on Deming's principles, todays vehicles are light years ahead from where they were in the 70's,8o's, etc.

I used to get a new model every three years or so because they became unreliable and rust buckets if you drove them much longer. Today I don't consider a change until my SUV has 115,000 or even much higher mileage on it. (I drive Toyotas)

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do have to agree about the cars, to an extent. However in place of the fact of wearing out are other demand- inducing features... style, performance, and others that keep up demand for "new"product. A lot of this simply appeals to folks' propensity for self indulgence. Much like the current "digital is superior to analog " mantra.

And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

I will replace the unit for sure...with A PACT!!!

ledvm@msn.com

LOL, I replaced my POS PACT with RCBS, which has been, thus far, perfect.

One bad connection and it's lights out for all the manufacturers.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:

ledvm@msn.com

RCBS worked great as long as it was working. I loved it. But I took good care of it. It lived its whole live in a climate controlled room on a sturdy bench. Don't load thousands of rounds. It should have lasted longer than 7 or 8 years. And PACT at least says they have a lifetime warranty. RCBS just disappointed me with their attitude.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37888 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, according to this I must be an old fart! I thought I was a curmudgeon,but what the hell it hard to remember that spelling!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But isn't the attitude the really defining characteristic? Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:

ledvm@msn.com

Interesting - years ago (2001) when I was looking at an auto dispenser type thing my LGS had a Pact set all in snazzy grey plastic. I was quite smitten by it, but asked a friend who had contacts all over if he could get me one cheaper than the LGS.

He came up with an RCBS unit, which I bought. When I got it home, it was exactly the same as the grey one, with embossing on the bottom that said something along the lines of "Made for RCBS by PACT".

Used it for a year or so and when I emigrated, sold it to a buddy.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately working with modern electronics can be very frustrating. The one year on electronics seems to be the standard. RCBS is not alone. I bought a Leupold modular light. After a few years the switch died. I called Lupy and received no joy. There only solution was to buy a Surefire and use their end switch. Mad

Lane, you may try taking the beast apart and inspect the circuit board for a cold solder joint. Hit any suspect joints with a soldering gun. My electronic dash went out on my truck, dealer wanted $750 for a new circuit board. I hit a few suspect joints with a gun and solved the issue. Might be worth a try.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I they told me to toss it and buy a new one, I'd be thinking pipe bomb! rotflmo Now I guess Uncle SAm will put me on the terror list, oh well, can't take a joke, screw um!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120