Find
Notify
Tools

404 primers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted
I finally got out to shoot the 404. I had two out of four of the loads I made have the primers come out a bit. I got the load from this site. 82gr H4350 for 2200fps. I was using RWS brass and the primers did feel different when I was loading the ammo. I have some Norma brass also so when I get a chance I will try them also. I had no pressure signs on the ones that stayed put. I had a buddy that loaded his 300 Savage way down and this happened to him. I don't know what to do. If the primer holes are big then I am out a box of brass. It was Federal primers, so I could try CCI's and see if they stick.

Any help?

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woody, the only time I have experienced anything like this was when I made a mistake adjusting my scale. I loaded some 270s for a friend w/ my time proven load. We went to the range and I looked at his brass after each shot. The next load up, the primers told me something was wrong. I had him stop shooting. We went back to the house and discovered MY error. I suggest a recheck and start over w/ a reduced charge.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Woody I load my RWS brass/Fed 215 400gn RWS solid at 84gn H4350 for 2335 fps. Similarly with Norma brass/Fed 215 400gn Woodleigh WC at 84gn h4350 for 2335fps. Some of my brass has been loaded 7 times so far with no less feel when seating primes. Your 82gn load should be fine under normal circumstances as the velocity is what I would expect from about 82gns. Is this new brass, or fired. Did you FLS or PFLS to protect headspace as it can be bumped easily with the slight shoulder, and if so, you can use a 458 expander then re-size to your chamber.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Von Gruff has an idea there, the primers shouldn't back out regardless of the load if the headspacing is correct. I make sure that on the initial loading of the cases, I have some feel on the bolt handle when locking it down. My dies will push the shoulder way back, if I'm not carefull and leave me with excessive headspace.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Masterifleman:
Von Gruff has an idea there, the primers shouldn't back out regardless of the load if the headspacing is correct. I make sure that on the initial loading of the cases, I have some feel on the bolt handle when locking it down. My dies will push the shoulder way back, if I'm not carefull and leave me with excessive headspace.

Kind of my thought as well. I have not used H4350 w/ 380gr bullets, but have never had primers backout. I have used F215, WWLRM & RPLRM, all work fine.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it is VERY easy to overly resize 404 brass

primers backing out, without looking like a bomb went off, are an easy to see indicator of excessive headspace

partial neck size the brass, use "Factory" load data.

i had a 404, with WAY too much headspace, split a once fired (in that gun) case on me .. a friend's rifle, i didn't do the work, and, frankly, the gunsmith screwed the pooch on it

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39710 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I am thinking I have a lot of headspace on the gun. I will resize these and see if they fit better. They were new unsized brass. I have never had this issue before but as some have mentioned the 404 has a slight shoulder. If I load them again,without pushing the shoulder back, and have issues I guess its off to the smith. Its going there for feeding issues anyway. One more thing on the list.

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote