New
Find
Notify
Tools

large velocity swings in 22 Hornet
 Login/Join

<rockcreek>
posted
I tried using Lil Gun this weekend. It had velocity swings of 300fps in ten round strings.All brass was ww and was using cci400 primers, 40gr nosler bt and 13 gr powder.
Used IMR 4227 at 11.3 and had a spread of 23fps for 10 shot string. Everything else was same. Still scratching head??? Any suggestions?

posted Hide Post
Are you using a powder measure/powder scoop or are you weighing every charge?
Was the brass all new or once-fired?
Check the weight of your brass to see if there are any overly heavy or overly light cases (more than .3grains above or below average).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<rockcreek>
posted
All was new brass and all was within .1 in weight had set aside 37 of 100. Was trimmed to 1.393 neck turned and flash hole deburred. All frimers seated by hand and all charges weighed and dropped through 6" tube. Was still able to get 3 shot groups you could hide with dime at 100yds but think i could shrink if i could get velocities spreads lowered
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Are you using a powder measure/powder scoop or are you weighing every charge?
Was the brass all new or once-fired?
Check the weight of your brass to see if there are any overly heavy or overly light cases (more than .3grains above or below average).

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey rockcreek, Looks like you have the case weight situation covered as George suggested.

I wrestled with Hornets for 35yrs and found them to be extremely "Primer" sensitive. I'd recommend you try Rem 1 1/2, CCI 500, Rem 6 1/2 and CCI 400 Primers, in that order. The SAAMI specified Pressure for the Hornet allows the use of "Pistol Primers" in the Hornet and they can make a significant difference in your Load.

You might also want to consider trying some of the non-Plastic Tip bullets in it. It might just not like those particular Noslers. I always had pretty good luck with the 45gr Sierra #1210s and the 45gr Speer #1023s.

Some of the older Hornets are Bored for a 0.223" diameter bullet instead of the current 0.224" bullet. For example, if you have a Winchester M43 that has the factory barrel, it will do best with the 0.223" bullets.

That is the good news. The bad news is that once you find the "perfect Load" it might go all to Clinton on you the next time you go to shoot it.

Best caliber I know to build "Character" and "Patience".

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<rockcreek>
posted
Will try changing primers. This is a ruger 77-22VHZ and i had loaded three loads before i got the gun. The w296 did not work well at all.Had good results with IMR 4227 but would like to use Lil Gun because of higher velocities with lower pressures. Thanks Rockcreek
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey rockcreek, Looks like you have the case weight situation covered as George suggested.

I wrestled with Hornets for 35yrs and found them to be extremely "Primer" sensitive. I'd recommend you try Rem 1 1/2, CCI 500, Rem 6 1/2 and CCI 400 Primers, in that order. The SAAMI specified Pressure for the Hornet allows the use of "Pistol Primers" in the Hornet and they can make a significant difference in your Load.

You might also want to consider trying some of the non-Plastic Tip bullets in it. It might just not like those particular Noslers. I always had pretty good luck with the 45gr Sierra #1210s and the 45gr Speer #1023s.

Some of the older Hornets are Bored for a 0.223" diameter bullet instead of the current 0.224" bullet. For example, if you have a Winchester M43 that has the factory barrel, it will do best with the 0.223" bullets.

That is the good news. The bad news is that once you find the "perfect Load" it might go all to Clinton on you the next time you go to shoot it.

Best caliber I know to build "Character" and "Patience".

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had very good luck with H110, Hornady 45 gr spire point bullets and small rifle primers. I tried Lil Gun and my particular Ruger doesn't like it all that much.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<George Capriola>
posted
Rockcreek,
In the Winter 2000 edition of Small Caliber News, Harold Miller made the same observation regarding the velocity deviation with Lil'Gun in his .22 K-Hornet. He noted the deviation was greatest with the heavier loads of Lil'Gun, and speculated that perhaps the ash or unburned powder, traveling faster than the bullet, may be affecting the chrono measurements a few feet from the muzzle. I think it's an interesting concept, as you must admit there's certainly a lot of sooty black ash left in the spent cases!
Personally, I don't give it a lot of thought, since Lil'Gun has been the largest single improvement to accuracy in my Ruger 77/22VHZ. I use Federal #100 small pistol primers, and have very good results with Hornady 40-grain V-Maxes, and excellent accuracy with Berger 40-grain MEF's. My gun won't shoot the Nosler 40-grain Ballistic Tips worth a darn, though!
By the way, Mr. Miller obtained highest velocity with the Lil'Gun, but his tests showed slightly better accuracy with AA1680!
Regards, George.

<rockcreek>
posted
I have been reloading for some time but never for a Hornet. You may be right on powder ash causing this.I had to load with oal of 1.890 to get within .010 of land so wont fit in mag. While i was breaking in barrel and cleaning after each shot the 7th,8th,and 9thshots were 9/16 with 11.3gr IMR 4227 and cci 400 primers but velocities were in 2600 range. After 40 rds through barrel was able to shoot 3 consecutive 3 shot groups under .500 so may end up staying there. Thank you Rockcreek
quote:
Originally posted by George Capriola:
Rockcreek,
In the Winter 2000 edition of Small Caliber News, Harold Miller made the same observation regarding the velocity deviation with Lil'Gun in his .22 K-Hornet. He noted the deviation was greatest with the heavier loads of Lil'Gun, and speculated that perhaps the ash or unburned powder, traveling faster than the bullet, may be affecting the chrono measurements a few feet from the muzzle. I think it's an interesting concept, as you must admit there's certainly a lot of sooty black ash left in the spent cases!
Personally, I don't give it a lot of thought, since Lil'Gun has been the largest single improvement to accuracy in my Ruger 77/22VHZ. I use Federal #100 small pistol primers, and have very good results with Hornady 40-grain V-Maxes, and excellent accuracy with Berger 40-grain MEF's. My gun won't shoot the Nosler 40-grain Ballistic Tips worth a darn, though!
By the way, Mr. Miller obtained highest velocity with the Lil'Gun, but his tests showed slightly better accuracy with AA1680!
Regards, George.

<Shotone>
posted
If you suspect ash from the burnt powder traveling faster than the bullet and throwing off the chronograph readings, there is a simple fix. Move the chronograph further away from the shooting bench. This is recommended by Oehler when readings fluctuate. According to them, the expanding gases emerging from the muzzle can have a velocity of 6000 fps, which can cause erroneous readings.