New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Powders for Beginnings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Being brand new to all of this & wanting to pick up some powders for four cartridges I'll be working up loads for, I didn't want to buy a whole bunch of powders 'til I learn a bunch more!

So, to start with would it be worth my while to start with these . . . . .

.270 Win. 22" barrel 1:10" Rate of Twist Bolt-Action IMR 4350 for 130gr/140gr/150gr bullets.

.30-06 Springfld. 22" Barrel 1:10" Rate of Twist Bolt-Action IMR4350 for 165gr/180gr bullets.

6.5x55mm Swede 20.5" Barrel 1:8.6" Rate of Twist Bolt-Action IMR4350 for 120gr-140gr bullets.

.308 Win. 23.6" Barrel 1:12" Rate of Twist Bolt-Action Reloader 15 for 155gr/168gr/175gr bullets.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm just getting ready to get my feet wet with this.

I would like to know if these are standard powders that I might have some luck in getting at least a couple of my guns to shoot these powders well.

Thank you for your replies because I sure need the help.

I got all these powders from researching past topics on this forum over the past several days & this is what I've come down to for my particular situation.

I guess now, the rifles will tell me what they like. I hope I'm choosing some combinations that should show some promise based on cartridge history & performance.

Again, I need any help I can get.
With much appreciation, thanks to all!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
L-B,

Good on ya for asking.....for a novice I'd try to keep the number of componets limited. Your powder choices are just fine for the cartridges and bullets you've selected; you'll get a feel (and the need) for others as you progess.

The 6.5x55 Swede - I'd go with 120's, pick a good reputable brand name but to get some experinece under your belt just load some vanilla-flavored Speers, Hornady's, Sierras, etc. - let the premium projectiles wait until you've developed a specific need, style and system.

For the .270 Winchester, select the same thing in a 130 grain pill and try them - it's the bullet weight that made this cartridge it's reputation initially; today folks tend to the 140's & 150's but you've similar weights in other cartridges.

For the .308 Win.; well, if it was me I'd buy some 150's for it and try some 180's with the .30/06 Sprg.; then you've got a pretty good x-section of bullets across the board for all your cartridges. That is unless you're using your cartridges for some specific purpose other than hunting.

My favorite of all the manuals is Metallic Cartridge Reloading, there's a wealth of information up front, not only for someone starting offf but a seasoned reloader alike and much data on specific cartridges in the back.

Have fun, welcome to AR and don't be a stranger, let everyone know how you're getting along. Don't hesitate to ask if you want some assistance.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
L-B
The 270 I reloaded for a buddy many years ago, if memory serves 150 grainers and IMR-4831.
The 308 and the 30-06 would do fine with IMR 4064 or IMR 4895. The 308 should do fine with a 150 or 168 grain. I use 150 FMJ for one 308 and for the other 308 likes 168 FMJ and 175 HPBT.
The 30-06 should like any bullet weight from 150 to 180 grains. Picking the middle 168-170 should be the best.
I'm betting that powders for 6.5-55 would follow the 308 pretty closely.
Once you get into this game you'll love it.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I think you are fine here. I like RL15 in 08 based cases. The .270 is a bit overbore & you usually get best overall perf. w/ a slightly slower powder. H4831sc is a classic 270 powder choice. Standard or match primers are fine for all carts. listed. Bullets, depends on what you want, paper punching or hunting. For paper, hard to not go w/ match bullets for all. Hunting, from plain old Rem. CL to Barnes TSX & everything in between. You could spend $1000 on bullet/powder combinations so best to decide what you are developing loads for. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load all of the rounds you mention except the 270. I've had very good results in all of them with both IMR's 4064 and 4895. Another "go to" powder for me in the same rounds is BLC-2.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Pick one of those rounds to start with. And work up a load. The IMR4350 is fine.

Get some experience under your belt with your 270, 06, or the 6.5.

Load for one and get a feel for reloading.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I'll only comment on the 308 Win. & 30/06.

For the 308, I like 165 or 168 grain bullets and IMR 4064.

For the 30/06, my choice is once again 165 or 168 grain bullets and Varget.

When I first started reloading, I would try bunches of different bullet weights. I guess it was a good education but made things unecessairly complicated. Now, for most cartridges, I work up a load with one bullet weight and rarely two and stick with them.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Late Bloomer, you'll be fine with what you chose, but there is something to be said about maybe adding 1 or 2 more powders to your list, even if just starting. I was advised by a very experienced reloader to start with 5 powders:

a good 4350 (Hodgdon or IMR)
a good 4831 (same as above)
Reloder 15 and 22
and finally, AA3100.

I can't count the number of great loads I've found with IMR4350, but in GENERAL, 4831 is a better choice for the 270. Where the 4350 is better, IMO, for the 30.06.

As for the 308, Re15, IMO, is one of the best, with IMR4064 right behind.

Re22 is an EXCELLENT 270 powder and works VERY well in 30.06 with 180s.

Here's what I'd advise:

IMR4350, H4831SC, Re15, IMR4064, where the latter is also one of the best accuracy powders for the 30.06.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Late-Bloomer:
Of the cartridges on your list, the only one I have is the .270 Win. I load 150 gr. Partitions exclusively and load 57 gr. of Rldr-22 in my pre-64 to get 2937 fps on the chrono. I can't believe that you won't get very good results with that. If not, I'd try H-4831. I think that the 4350's are slightly too fast for a 150 gr. bullet in the .270. As was mentioned above, I'd begin with 1 cartridge & find the load it likes before moving on to another.
BTW, when I begin looking for a load, I usually start in the Sierra reloading manual for their most accurate load. I also look on http://stevespages.com for even more info. As always, double check with a reloading manual before using any data off the internet. Hope this helps some & good luck. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like accuracy--and the 6.5x55 is a great accuracy round--skip the testing and use the 140 gr. Hornady A-Max with Alliant Reloder 22.

And if, as Bear in Fairbanks suggests, Reloder 22 also works well with the .270, you have two of your bases covered.

flaco

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
Here's what I'd advise:

IMR4350, H4831SC, Re15, IMR4064, where the latter is also one of the best accuracy powders for the 30.06.

Oops, I meant to have Re22 in this last batch too. Sorry. It was also one of my very first powders to try. And at that time I only had a 7mag, 270, and 30.06. It sure works.

Today my list of powders on my shelf include:

VV N550
VV N160
Re25, 22, 19, 15
AA3100
IMR 4350, 4064, 4831, 7828
H4350, 4831SC, 1000, Retumbo, US 869
WC-872

David Tubbs stated a long time ago on the Sierra reloading video that if he was restricted to just 2 powders, it would be:

IMR4064 and IMR4350.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I have used H4350 in all the cartridges you mention except the 308. I started and stayed with 4064 there, with a bit of experamenting with Varget. I found it to work OK although it was better in the Swede with light (120gr)bullets and `06 with 180 gr then in the 270 Win. I would expect the IMR version will work fine for your purposes but do realize there is no one powder that does it all. Sooner or later you will add to your powder inventory.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
imr 4350 and 4831 are great choices for all but the 308.you will usualy get the best fps with them over hodgdons powder and get great accuracy to. depending on the rifle u have chambered for 308, it might like the reloader powder. the other powder to try is accurate arms powders in the 308

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think IMR/Hodgdon 4350 is a good all-around powder choice for the cartridges listed!

Before I started reloading (back in 1974, when I was stationed in S.D.) I attended a course in reloading.
I still remember the best advise given during the course, Use a powder that most completely fills the case!
That way, you can't possible double charge a cartridge!

This is why I feel that 4350 is a good powder for use in your cartridges.

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do I find out that info. regarding loading density for different powders/different cartridges. I heard this same advice given in something I read awhile ago. Any help would be appreciated very much.

Also, thanks everyone for your replies & generosity.It's people like you that make this hobby awesome!!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck White:
I think IMR/Hodgdon 4350 is a good all-around powder choice for the cartridges listed!

Before I started reloading (back in 1974, when I was stationed in S.D.) I attended a course in reloading.
I still remember the best advise given during the course, Use a powder that most completely fills the case!
That way, you can't possible double charge a cartridge!

This is why I feel that 4350 is a good powder for use in your cartridges.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
There's absolutely NOTHING at all wrong with your choices! IMR 4350 is one of the best you could use in the .270, .30/'06, and 6.5X55. In addition, H4831 will work very well in those three, as will RE22 or Norma MRP.

My best load in the .308 Win. (bolt-action/BLR only) uses a 165-grain Nosler Partition bullet and H380 for a MV of just at 2800 FPS from Canadian IVI GI cases, Federal 210 primers, 22" barrel). I haven't tried RE15 in the .308 yet.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do I find out that info. regarding loading density for different powders/different cartridges.

Go to your local reloading shop and look at Noslers reloading manual.

I would not worry about double charges with the powders you've chosen. You will not be able to fit enough of either in the case to DC.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, to every single one of you for your honest replies. I am learning that there is more than one way to skin a cat or should I say to load a cartridge.

I never imagined there were so many different powders that could be used to load a particular cartridge, the variables are insurmountable.

Although, I am a bit overwhelmed at this point I am very greatful to the wealth of information that has been shared.

Every reply has enlightened me, and most of all it has created an excitement & enthusiasm within me which is why I chose to partake in this incredible hobby!!!

I know for sure I got so much to learn and I am truly greatful to be a part of your reloading lives on this great forum.

I was looking to learn the theory of reloading!

Now, I am looking to learn the theories of reloading!!!

I guess the greatest theory of all is in the pride of finding the correct load in a particular rifle. I guess its the enduring patience & joy of finding each rifle's sweet spot with a precision load that has cost the reloader much time, effort, and dedication. I can see the sweetness of this hobby by the way you reloaders talk about your specific recipes for each chambering. As an outsider looking in its awesome, a hobby that is inspired by the passion one has for his rifle; to give it the best load it could possibly want in accuracy and repeatabilty.

It is a priviledge for me to understand this relationship right now and for the rest of my life.

I truly believe I will embrace this hobby/sport with the same passion & obsession as a reloader 'cause I enjoy everyone of my rifles.

Again, thanks to all!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
LB, Truth to be told, you could load all of your present cartridges with IMR-4985 and have reasonably accurate, effective loads. Would IMR-4895 be optimal for each cartridge? No, it probably would serve very well in your .308 and 30-06 with 150 gr bullets, and I have gotten some good results in a 6.5x55 with it and 120 gr bullets. IMR-4350 is also very versatile, although you would sacrifice a couple of hundred feet per second velocity if you choose it for your .308. It should give excellent performance in your 6.5x55, .270 Win. and 30-06 with all bullet weights (especially the 129 gr Hornady in the 6.5) If I were you, I would start off with those two and see how they work. My 30-06 worked well with lots of different powders including IMR-4895, 4064, 4350, Accurate 2700, and Reloder 22. My experience with a couple of .270 Winchesters found good results with IMR-4350, but better with IMR-4831, H-4831 and Reloder 22. The 6.5x55 worked pretty well with IMR-4895, and 4064 with the lighter bullets, and IMR-4350 and Reloder 22 with the heavier ones. I haven't loaded for a .308 Win, but my experience with the 7mm-08 suggests the medium burners like IMR-4064, 4895 and Varget with best results with the 7mm-08 coming from Varget. I would expect the .308 to respond similarly. You may ask what powder I am using now? Accurate Data 86 Extruded, which is similar to Accurate 3100, which is sort of Accurate powders answer to 4831 and reloder 22. I use it in my .243 Win, 6.5x55 Swede and .270WSM. Its' burning rate is very close to Vihtavuori N-165, yet I was able to pick up 32 lbs of it for about $9.50 per pound delivered. Once you gain experience reloading, you start to look for bargains so you can load and shoot more. Buying surplus data powders in bulk is probably not for beginners, but once you learn what your rifles like and how different powders work in your rifles, you can start to try some of the bargain ones that come available every so often..
Good luck, and be sure to post again with any other questions, as well as which way you decided to go and what kind of results you experienced.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote