New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Neck Sizing Die ?'s
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got one of these in .270 Win, there is only one size, no differing collets for the 270. I set it up per the instructions, and the runout is just terrible. From fire formed cases that have less than .001 of runout to having .007 to .012 or worse! I can't imagine how to tune such a die, and am using it in a Forster Coax, which allows the die to 'float' a bit, so I'm just real disappointed with this performance.

Looking for suggestions/recommendations to do better!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fish, I have several in various calibers...

and they are working great....

they are a bargain, that is for sure...

but if it isn't working for ya, then the bargain just flew out the window..

Back to the Redding neck dies or the Lee's if you are looking for inexpensive that works well.. I have a bunch of those also in various calibers..

I don't know if I am experiencing "run out" like that or not.. as I never check it, but the loads in those sized cases function just fine for me...

good luck,
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, this is a common affliction with (standard) neck sizing dies. There is no support for the case as it is pulled back over the expander. I suggest one of the following remedies:
1) get a Lee Collet die - if you can live with the idiosyncrasies of these.
2) get a Redding Competition Bushing NS die (lots of bucks), and 2-3-4 bushings.
3) get Hornady to modify your NS dies to be used without the expander.
4) get a Forster FL die, and have Forster modify the die to be used without expander. Then set set up for partial full length sizing.

Any of the above options will probably give you better results than what you currently achieve. I particularly like option #4.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MHO is right. Because there is no support as the ball goes through the neck it can get out alignment real ez.
Try to tune the spindle to get into the middle of the die. And then (not sure how that press works) get the shell pushed back snug to the back of the shellholder as you withdraw the sizing ball.
I have 2 of them and have been able to get most runnout under .003" but not as good as my fl dies.
Being that you have to lube the inside of the neck to work the die....and have to remove that lube....I've decided it doesn't save me much time over FL sizing where I push back the shoulder just .001". I have come to the conclusion that I will only be hunting with FL sized ammo from now on and that's why I do about 99% of my load development that way.
I DO NOT LIKE PFL sized ammo because it doesn't shoot any better for me.....I wouldn't use it in the field anyhow....and it seems to go to a different point of impact than FL sized brass.
JUST Mho!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
****guys I just added this, I just tried running several cases into the die without the expander--still induced a lot of runout, again from a fireformed case at basically .001 to somewhere between .007 to .012 WTF???? ****

guys, thanks for the feedback. I guess it's just a bit of lazy showing up, but I reload a ton of .270 ammo, and I was hoping to get good loaded ammo this route, I really like not lubing the cases. Having said that, I have not been lubing the necks when trying out this new die. I also haven't spent a lot of time tuning the expander, I will.

I actually do PFLR most of my ammo, I haven't really compared to the other way though kraky.....I will.

Mike, I do think I like the idea of a Forster die set up like that, I like Forster stuff.

Thanks again guys--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote