New
Find
Notify
Tools

RL 15 Sealed or Unsealed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Needed some RL 15 in a bad way and bought 4 one pound bottles on Gunbroker. When I opened the box and unscrewed the cap, I noticed that there was no safety seal on the container. Not sure if this is a new way that Alliant is packaging their powder. I called the guy from Georgia that sold the powder to me and he said that he had no idea. I went across the street to a local gun shop and unscrewed the cap on a bottle of RL 17 and it had a safety seal. I wonder if this guy is repackaging powder or dividing up 5 pound cans and selling them as one pounders?

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've never bought any new powder that wasn't sealed. Always had a seal on everything from 1 lb. to 8 lb. jugs. All my Alliant powders have hd a seal.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2314 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Never bought a powder that didn't have the safety sale...alliant or otherwise. Were all the bottles this way or just one? Did they all weigh the same?

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They were all the same. All weighed the same

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
My 4 lbs of RL15 had seals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe, I would be skeptical. I am sorry, but I am getting to the point where it is hard to trust anyone... and I think at bare minimum, he took a 5-lb. caddy and broke it down. I have never bought any powder that wasn't sealed. And fwiw, the two 1-lb. canisters of RL-15 I have are both sealed.

Do you have some RL-15 you could compare it to? I could be wrong, but it seems to me that if the powder is different, it wouldn't weigh the same volumetrically. You might take some RL-15, throw a charge from a powder measure and weigh it, then take the suspect powder and do the same. A difference in weight would really raise a flag, in my mind.

It may be the same powder, but something is fishy, at least as I see it... those canisters should have been sealed.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every can of Alliant powder I've ever purchased had a seal. Typically a thin layer of styrofoam-like material glued to the top of the bottle before the cap was installed.

I would ask the seller if he repackaged the powder. It's at least worth a try.

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:

It may be the same powder, but something is fishy, at least as I see it... those canisters should have been sealed.

+1 !!!!!!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All my RL-15 had seals too. I hate when friends ask me to load some ammo for them, then show up with a 1 lb can that is relabeled with a piece of masking tape.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got a call from Alliant Powder company. The rep said that it is quite common in the one pound canisters to not have the safety seal. Confused

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple of the one pounders the other day. I checked and one had it and one did not. Both were new from a reputable dealer, at the same time.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote