New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will the hording stop now?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
With the changes in American politics tonight, will we stop hording power, primers and bullets?

Sorry if this should be in the political section.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably, but the prices aren't coming back down.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
My predictions are:

1. The hoarding by most will cease.

2. Prices will come down some.

3. The next time something serious comes up on the gun control agenda, a lot of reloaders will once again be caught with their pants down and will acuse those that have supplies with being hoarders.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sharpshooter is right. The prices can't come down until the damage has been repaired to our manufacturing sector. Hyper-regulation by the various uncontrolled governmental agencies has done great damage.

Those agencies are the swamp that we need to drain.

Joe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hoarding.
Yes it will gradually die down to normal demand levels but supply won't magically appear overnight; some of the most desirable brass and ammo is only produced once a year, or more.
And prices of ARs, etc, will fall more; there are about 100 makers out there who bet on the dems to win.
That is a price to pay for victory, and is unfortunate for anyone that bet on the demand rising for semis.
Now, you still have the Preppers, who are stockpiling mostly .22 ammo. They are betting that the world will end soon and they buy it even if they don't own a gun; trading stock, they say.
It is always a roller coaster ride.

Posts: 17296 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never considered my back-stock as hoarding since I don't buy anything unless I can see myself shooting it.
With that said, I need to hoard some more Retumbo since my 8 lbs keg is long gone! It doesn't last too long at 100 grains per pop!
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you have more than one lifetime supply of components, which some of my friends do, then it is hoarding. I tell them that I can't wait for their estate sales.

Posts: 17296 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Not by those of us unlucky enough to live behind enemy lines in Kommiefornia.
A proposition was passed yesterday that requires a background check to buy ammo and stops all mail order buying. Don't know for sure if it affects components but I put in a big order this morning. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but the wife and I are looking to sell the ranch and move to a red state.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
If you have more than one lifetime supply of components, which some of my friends do, then it is hoarding. I tell them that I can't wait for their estate sales.

true But here are some that just do a lot of shooting before this foolishness I would buy 22 by the case, primers 50,000 at a time ect. To get the best prices.

I just happen to get lucky and place a big order before this crap hit. A year later I would have been SOL.

My dad told me of the storages in the depression couldn't afford them and WWII I made my mined up that would not happen to me.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

true But here are some that just do a lot of shooting before this foolishness I would buy 22 by the case, primers 50,000 at a time ect. To get the best prices.

I just happen to get lucky and place a big order before this crap hit. A year later I would have been SOL.

My dad told me of the storages in the depression couldn't afford them and WWII I made my mined up that would not happen to me.

When I first started loading my old uncle told me about the shortages of the depression, WW11, Korea, and others along the way. He urged me with caution to maintain an inventory. He was right. Don't know what things were like at home during the Vietnam days as I joined the army in 66.

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
A proposition was passed yesterday that requires a background check to buy ammo and stops all mail order buying. Don't know for sure if it affects components but I put in a big order this morning. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but the wife and I are looking to sell the ranch and move to a red state.

According to this: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...win-tails-you-lose/, components will not be affected.

Not yet, anyway.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
With that said, I need to hoard some more Retumbo since my 8 lbs keg is long gone! It doesn't last too long at 100 grains per pop!
Zeke

560 rounds more or less. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I tell people here in Texas that they should be kind to me because I'm a political refugee from California. Once I assure them that I don't want to change anything, they laugh about it; they also understand.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think hoarding is the problem.
demand has increased.
supply has fallen behind.

I still can't get the same powder twice when I go to the LGS.
it's getting old.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
quote:

I tell people here in Texas that they should be kind to me because I'm a political refugee from California. Once I assure them that I don't want to change anything, they laugh about it; they also understand.

I tell people here that I'm a Silicon Valley refuge. Wink
Guess I'm just politically incorrect! Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No the blacks, browns and other people of color will start their hoarding for the upcoming urban wars, guess the second amendment covers them also, Lord help us, this is going to get bad ..

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No the blacks, browns and other people of color will start their hoarding for the upcoming urban wars, guess the second amendment covers them also, Lord help us, this is going to get bad ..

Most can't plan for tomorrow so I am not to worried

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long did it take the USA to start up the war machine for WW2? It seems like stuff has been off the shelves for a lot longer than that. It strains logic that something as simple as 22lr should be overpriced and unavailable for so long. We are not talking about high technology here. To me, this is another example of markets being controlled.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Short answer - yes. I, myself, was concerned about the availability of ammo, components, and certain types of guns coming into Tuesday's election. I held strong and stuck with my gut that things were going to work out and I guessed right I suppose. With the advantages of the majority across most all of government, we're safe from asinine regulations for a few years.

As for those who live in Czech-a-fornia, they THINK they're making things safer for themselves, but what they're really doing is creating an isolation state that's virtually unprotected. You honestly could not pay me enough money to live in California these days. I don't know how the gun and gun-related companies that exist there now continue to do so. I can see a time very soon when they all pack up and move to friendlier pastures.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure of the exact definition of "hoarding". If it is merely "having more than you can use in a lifetime", I'm guilty as charged! Maybe I'm a prepper!! After all I do have several pair of underware! My lifetime may only be minutes from now! If things go bad in a hurry (be it from man of an act of God), I have My kids and grandkids to take care of. For, they are not prepared to take care of themselves! That said, I have rural acreage (far from cities/interstates), water and farming components, alternate heat sources, food stores, hand tools, ect. So, if I "check-out" today, my "hoarding" may become their subsistence! I don't have nearly the ammo/components that some right here go through in a year of normal shooting. So am I hoarding or am I only more frugal in my use of my shooting resources. I'm not a fanatic who buys/hoards everything that I can get, while not using some for pleasure/hunting,ect. I use surplus components/ammo for the entertainment of myself,kids, and grandkids, while keeping a small reserve for "whatever"! So, am I a hoarder?

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
My predictions are:

1. The hoarding by most will cease.

2. Prices will come down some.

3. The next time something serious comes up on the gun control agenda, a lot of reloaders will once again be caught with their pants down and will acuse those that have supplies with being hoarders.

couldn't have said it better

oh, and 22LR will become common again!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Henderson:
Sharpshooter is right. The prices can't come down until the damage has been repaired to our manufacturing sector. Hyper-regulation by the various uncontrolled governmental agencies has done great damage.

Those agencies are the swamp that we need to drain.

Joe

uhm, well.. no .. history shows the prices return to pre-crisis +inflation -- just like every other time

will we see $9.99 powder and primers again? not very likely, but $25 bucks, more than likley

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

250%+ rise in retail prices in less than a year, and you think they are not coming back down; but that's acceptable?

The component manufacturers know they can charge whatever they like. They are not likely to lower the price of stuff. They loved obama. I go to SHOT Show and the talk is always about nominating him for salesman of the year.

Business has no moral values, they exist to maximize profit and return on investment to shareholders. That's why companies take their manufacturing facilities overseas, and don't share the lower costs with consumers.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well fist as to how much I need. I have enough to pretty much last me until I die. If I go early the wife and kids and worry about getting rid of it. If I run out I probably wouldn't be able to shoot anyway. Wink But since the wife is 7yrs my junior she needs more than I do. Wink

Now correct price I have no clue. Seems like everyone wants to forget about inflation. Bought some powder when I went to Grafs last month. About $25 a #. Adjusted for inflation that would be $17.83 in 2000 and $13.53. Back to 1972 when I started it would be $4.33. Yes I bought surplus 4831 and 4895 for a buck or two but I'm not sure normal was as low as $4.33.

Sorry I don't see $25 as out of line. Maybe we had years of prices not keeping up with inflation. Can't buy my 1973 2000 sgft home for $40,000 anymore either.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ramrod340,

tell me what your income was the year you bought your home. Apples to apples.

I remember my first real job, and first car I bought that fall. 90-cents an hour riding a tractor. Got a raise to a buck after two weeks.
Worked a lot of hours that summer. Bought all of my school clothes that fall, and paid a whopping $300 for a mint one-owner 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 2-dr HT with the McCullough Supercharger 312 V-8. I was a sophmore in HS.

Chicks, even the juniors and seniors dug guys with a nice car of their own, and twenty bucks to spend on a date.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Haven't pulled the trigger yet but the wife and I are looking to sell the ranch and move to a red state.

I actually like it when Conservative PRK refugees move to my home state, to help offset the Morons. The PRK refugees fleeing their own stupidity, not so much. thumbdown

I have bought very few components for the last 8 years. Price gougers piss me off. I have been mostly running on the stuff I already "hoarded".. Whistling

When things settle down a bit, I will get back to hoarding and preparing for the next Marxist A-holes that get elected.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

uhm, well.. no .. history shows the prices return to pre-crisis +inflation -- just like every other time

will we see $9.99 powder and primers again? not very likely, but $25 bucks, more than likley

Yup! What will happen eventually, in a more sensible economy, is wages need to "catch up" to the inflation. That always takes longer. The market may "settle in" and allow slight price reductions, but they will never come back down to pre 2008 levels.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
tell me what your income was the year you bought your home. Apples to apples.

I agree inflation happens. I was simply trying to say that $25/# for powder is not out of line in my opinion. Compared to prices in the past adjusted for inflation.

I'm perfectly happy paying $25 as long as I can find it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote