New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ramshot starting loads needed.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got a deal 4 pounds of Ramshot Magnum and Big Game powder. Only problem is no loading data. I called Ramshot and got starting loads for 7mm Mag. ( 72 grains for the Barnes 140 and the Combined Tech. 150 ) I could use some starting loads for a few other calibers.
    .35 Whelen w/200-225 gr. bullets
    6.5x55 w/120-140 gr. bullets
    .250 Savage w/100 gr. bullets
    .308 w/150-180 gr. bullets

Anybody got any experience with these powder? Some data maybe? I know Big Game is very close to R15 in burning rate so I will probably use that as a starting load minus a bit but sure would be nice to have some real data.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
Ramshots website is defunct at the moment, but if you give them a call, they will mail you a copy of their revised 3rd ed. loading manual. FWIW, their burn rate chart lists Big Game as right next to RE-15, as you mentioned (I'd thought it was somewhat slower... hmmm possibilities ;p ) Hunter is right btwn H4350 and RE-19, and Magnum is listed btwn H1000 and RE-25. I'd still recommend getting ahold of some 'official' load data if you can. They offered some loads over the phone to me when I called (before the new manual was out) but none of their .260 Rem loads cover any match bullets, or long barrels, and as such are of limited use to me.

HTH,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I _did_ call Ramshot. That's where the 7mm Mag. starting data came from. They do not have any reloading manuals right now but say they'll be available in a couple weeks. They did not and probably will not have any data for the calibers I listed or not for the powders I have. All the .308 data was for TAC powder. I have a starting point on the 7mm to keep me busy for a while and I'd like to work on the .250 also as I have to find an accurate load for that one yet. Because Big Game is bracketed by AA2700 and RL15 I'll go with an extrapolated starting load of 33.0 grain for a 100 grain bullet.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Ranshot's latest reloading manual is available for download at:

http://stevespages.com/page8b.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I downloaded it. Every other place I looked just had a link back to ramshot.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks, I downloaded it. Every other place I looked just had a link back to ramshot.

When you want the "very best", don't go to Helman's, go to stevespages...(grin)

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Be carefull with data from Ramshot, especially TAC powders, some loads are very HOT and I suspect errors in their data for all powders, at least until proven otherwise. Sierra has some data for these powders, cross check, cross fingers, then pull trigger. On the other hand it does save a lot of time not havng to deprime the cases after firing. Having said that I use their powders and like them, they meter incredibly well, burn relativity clean (well, for ball powders), the price is right, and the results generally pleasing as reguards accuracy. Just to keep things honest I am a dealer for their products.