New
Find
Notify
Tools

New reloading product shortage????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have traveled to every gunstore/sporting goods store within a 40 minute drive, looking for case lube. I like to use the spray stuff for some pistol calibers that I load on a limited basis, and use Imperial on my rifle cases.
Anyway, one of the largest in this area had about 15 sticks of bullet lube, different brands even, but no molds, lead pots, sizers or anything else to do with bullet casting, just the lube.
So as much as I try to shop locally and support my local businesses, I guess it is off to a mail order house to get my case lube. Fortunately I have sufficient supply of Imperial to last awhile, but will probably orde a couple of extra tins to have on hand.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't noticed a shortage of the stuff you're speaking of. What I have noticed is that many stores are going much lighter on inventory and tying up less cash into product due to tighter credit. Say for instance they used to stock 10 pieces of a certain sku, they may only stock 2 or 3 of those now. As a result they may be out of stock before that item is replenished.

But then again maybe there is a shortage. I haven't noticed it around here though.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congo,
I was in the Sportsmans Warehouse saturday to get powder and their shortages were much better than a couple of months ago.Where in colorado are you located?
Dan

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DannyH:
I live in Ft. Collins and tried JAX, Sportsmans Warehouse, 2 local gunshops, even Big 5 Sports.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last trip up to the country to work up loads I brought everything but the case lube.

I did a quick search for homebrews and decided to give it a try. I went to Wally World and picked up a tin of Mink Oil, and carefully rubbed it on like I would have the Imperial. Very cautiously I eased it into the sizing die and never hardly felt it size the case. It was so smooth I had to look to see if I actually didn't put in an already sized case.

You mileage may vary, but for like 3 bucks, it saved a weekend of shooting and made a believer out of me.

Here is a link to it,
http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Sizing

It wipes right off after sizing easily and worked great for over a hundred cases I did that weekend.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not found a shortage of case lube here in South Texas, but just try to find some .357 brass. It has disappeared.

Posts: 29 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 03 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got some .357 mag and .45 acp brass from Graf and Sons not long ago. I just reordred .45 acp brass from them today. For case lube I use Imperial sizing wax--a little goes a long--LONG way-- it lasts so long there is no excuse for running out..........

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike I just checked in on this thread again. I'm in Estes Park right now for a couple days for the IHEA conference (international hunters Education Association). If I'd of known you were in Ft. Collins I would have brought you some lube with me. Good luck and let us know if you still can't locate any.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a variety of lubes that work very well. I used to use the CH brand lube until I ran short.An old gentlemen at the local gunshop suggested I use STP engine treatment. That was all he had used for years at a much cheaper price. Just lube your pad the same as you would with any other oil like lube.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The prices of reloading componets have just kept going up and up over here.
The suppliers have given a number of reasons why.
Metal prices going up
Transport costs
Shortages in the USA caused by mass buying of people afraid that Obama will take there guns off them.
And the list goes on.
Somethings have more than doubled in price including some items that are made here.
While the first two points are vaild i think the last one is just to cover up the growing gread of some of the major wholesalers and dealers. Some of which do not like selling componets as they make more money selling factory ammo.
There have been some shortages here. Primers have been hard to get as there is no longer any made here in australia.

Posts: 110 | Location: sydney australia | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote