Find
Notify
Tools

.416 Rem Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
On my second 416 rem and just getting ready to reload for this cal for the first time.
What is the powder of choice for this round. I bought a bunch of North Fork 370's and hope to get them between 2400 and 2500 fps.. Thanks for all input...
Maddog

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Maddog,

I have had very good success with Reloader 15 and bullets of 350gr and 400gr. I have not loaded the 370 grain yet. So I'd be curious on how you make out with them.

My practice load consists of 80.0 gr R-15 with the 350 grain Speer Mag-Tip. With this load I get excellent accuracy and 2450fps. This is not a max load and you can go up from here for more velocity if so desired. I use the same charge of R-15 for 400 grain bullets and recieve 2370 fps (again not max, you can go higher if you want).

Good Luck,
BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I agree with the RL-15.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i had my best luck with win 760...
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had good results with H414, RL15, Varget, and H4895. No problem reaching 2400 fps with any of these powders in my rifle, a Win M70 Safari Express with 24" barrel. The most accurate of the bunch for me was H4895, next best was Varget. H414 was the easiest to use since it a ball powder and metered more consistantly from a powder measure than the others.

Posts: 142 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My accuracy load for the .416 Rem is 80 grains RL-15 and a Fed 215M primer. It chronys at 2450 fps and did a number on my Buffalo with a 370 grain North Fork soft followed by a 370 grain North Fork flat nose solid. The soft went in at the last rib and traversed through everyting the old boy had lodging in the neck bone where the first rib is. He went down, got back up and was walking slowly off, I then put the solid through the shoulders, he went down again, got back up walked around then went belly up for good. The bullet had a perfect mushroom and weighed in at 99.1% of it's original weight. I couldn't have been more pleased with the rifle, a Model 70 Winchester Safari Express with a 3X9 Ziess Conquest scope or the load. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Should 416 rem be crimped. If so how do you do that. Thanks Maddog

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lee crimping dies have worked well for me on heavy calibers. Price is quite reasonable

NRA Life Member
NRA Charter Member Golden Eagles

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote