Find
Notify
Tools

varmint bullet for .375?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents
I would like to develop a high-speed load for my .375HH and use it primarily on seals on the sea ice. As the critters lie close to their hole in the ice, a swift and instant kill is essential. The range would be from 100-300 meters (around 100-330yd) and the shots aim for the head. Thus, a accurate, flat trajectory fragmenting bullet at high speed in caliber .375HH, suggestions on both bullet and powder are most welcome!

Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The Sierra 200gr PH would be a good candidate driven @ 2900fps+. It's designed for the .375win @ 1700-1800fps. I have only used them at that vel. but if you can get them to shoot, they would be devistating on smaller game. Try H4895, Varget, IMR4064 or RL15.
http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=bullets&...bullets&caliberID=13

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my load was 83 gr of 4350 and the 210 barnes x bullet it was a load i used when i took my son to africa it worked well there

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you might want to go to a 50BMG, just to make sure they are dead.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only concern with lighter bullets to me in the 375 may not be as accurate as the longer ones in the 270 gr range. The 235 TSX may be a good candidate since the all copper bullet is a little longer than the same weight lead core bullet.
Good Luck with the sea lions. The eat too many fish that I want to catch.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents!
Thanks for suggestions, keep it coming!

For the moment the only rifle legal for seals (considered as BIG game here) in my possession is the .375HH, thus I need to use that caliber if I want to hunt.

A .50 BMG or a 30mm gatlin would not solve the issue here.
It can not be more than dead, but it is vital that it is dead right there. Therefore it is of utmost need that the bullet will hit and destroy ALL of the skull of the seal. Any body hit might lead to a lost prey since it takes 1/2 second at most for it to dive under the ice if it is spooked.
The Sierras that I have tried have not worked so far accuracy vise. They print 3" patterns on 100 yd, propelled by vv150. Perhaps the H4895 would work better and give better accuracy?

The Barnes bullet is also interesting since it is longer, but will it not foul the barrel alot since it is pure copper?
For other animals I use the SAF 300gn or the Norma Oryx 300gn depending on if I want penetration or expansion.

Sincerely
Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure would like to use my 375 on some seals, they wreak havoc on our salmon and steelhead populations. But being a Federal offense I'll have to pass. For varmints (up to coyotes) I use the Speer 235 semi spitzer @ 2800 fps. Accurate and effective. 81grs of IMR 4831 gets groups under an inch or so @ 100yds.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The TSX will not foul any more than anything else. The TSX has rings cut around it and reduces contact with the bore. You can shoot 30 to 40 rounds before giving a good cleaning with a copper solvent.
I was concerned with the issue in the beginning til I found it is a non issue.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote