Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes number 4 manual is out
 Login/Join

posted
Went into Sportsman Warehouse today to get some bullets. They had the new Barnes manual in. Got some new reading material now. clap

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
This book has me frustrated. Since the introduction of the TSX we've been told that they could be loaded hotter (faster) than the old X bullets. Maybe I haven't looked at enough loads/cartridges but so far the loads look to be lighter than their old book.

No wonder people are switching to bigger and bigger cartridges. Going by the progression in data we'll eventually need a .30-.378 to match old loads for the .30-06 Wink.

The real topper is that they only offer TWO lousy powders for the both .44 (Mag.) bullets. And one of them I've never heard of!!!! What happened to the perennial favorites of 110, 296, 2400, Unique, Blue Dot, etc.?

I don't know whether to blame it on them trying to keep R & D costs down or simply on liability attorneys. It seems hard to believe that only those two powders worked well (I just got decent groups with Blue Dot last week).

Maybe I'm just cranking because this is the only book that matters to us as of this week in my area (thank goodness I have the old version with a little warmer loads).

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I've never concerned myself with what any published max load is. It is nothing more than a guide. For medium sized calibers, like an .06, I'll go shoot on a day when it is b/w 70 and 80 degrees with test loads beginning at minimum published, then working up in .5 grain increments with the bullet at the lands. When I get to MY rifle's max, I make note of it.

As an example, the 168 VLD in my 7mag has a max recommended load of 70.4 grains of Retumbo. So far my rifle comfortably eats 73.0 grains on a 77 degree day. I'm heading to the range tomorrow to test another grain.

My 300 RUM with 200 Accubonds is the only rifle/load I've come across where I can't even get to a published max load with H1000, Retumbo, or Re25.

For the past 20 years, pretty much every other rifle has been able to handle more than the published max of several powders with several bullets in multiple calibers. BUT I ALWAYS STARTED WITH LOW CHARGES AND WORKED UP ON WARM DAYS!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted Hide Post
I'm like Kyler....I wonder if it didn't come to RnD costs and trying to get as quality a product as able to under a budgetary means. The Barnes #3 manual shows some data for RE15 that isn't shown in the 4th manual and I'm a 300 Savage fan and no data listed for the 300 Savage in the 4th manual.

HOWEVER, of note...I did contact Barnes about the data that was missing and they were kind enuff to fill in the blanks for me with wonderful data.

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
This book has me frustrated. Since the introduction of the TSX we've been told that they could be loaded hotter (faster) than the old X bullets. Maybe I haven't looked at enough loads/cartridges but so far the loads look to be lighter than their old book.

No wonder people are switching to bigger and bigger cartridges. Going by the progression in data we'll eventually need a .30-.378 to match old loads for the .30-06 Wink.

The real topper is that they only offer TWO lousy powders for the both .44 (Mag.) bullets. And one of them I've never heard of!!!! What happened to the perennial favorites of 110, 296, 2400, Unique, Blue Dot, etc.?

I don't know whether to blame it on them trying to keep R & D costs down or simply on liability attorneys. It seems hard to believe that only those two powders worked well (I just got decent groups with Blue Dot last week).

Maybe I'm just cranking because this is the only book that matters to us as of this week in my area (thank goodness I have the old version with a little warmer loads).

Kyler

I hear ya. I was looking at the TSX/MRX loads for the 338-378 Wby. Big difference between the Nr 3 and Nr 4 manual bewildered. I was loading the TTSXs so I went with the load that I already had for the TSXs. The loads were a bit lighter for my '06 as well but the loads for the 257 Wby were a tad hotter in the new manual. I'm just as stumped as anybody is on this one.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Quinault, while I enjoy reading reloading books, they aren't as useful when the only powders available to me aren't listed. Does the Barnes Manual list any VihatVuori loads?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Wink, what calibers and bullets are you wanting load data and what VV powders?

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never concerned myself with what any published max load is. It is nothing more than a guide

Doc thumb

I have been preaching this for years, I have about the same procedure as you.

And Ill add that limiting oneself to 1 or 2 reloading books is a big mistake also.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
cal30, I've seen in quite a few rifles that the published max load in any given "guide" can be 2-4 grains less than what MY rifle can actually digest, hence, when I've posted here in AR that my rifle likes a grain or so less than a max charge, I have always been referring to the max load in MY rifle....it has sometimes been equal to a published max or more, and sometimes by as much as 2 grains.

I've noticed this quite often with TSX and TTSX and Berger bullets. In a few rifles, it is very evident with partitions.

I've got 4 Nosler manuals, the Swift manual, access to 2 Barnes manuals, 4 Speer manuals, the latest Sierra manual, the last 3-4 Hodgdon, IMR, Alliant, Vihtavuori, Ramshot, Accurate Arms, and Winchester load data, Lymans, tons of printed "Stevespages," and Norma data.

All excellent tools and I like to compare. I agree that only a couple of manuals is being rather anorexic.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
Wink, what calibers and bullets are you wanting load data and what VV powders?

Presently I load for .300 Savage, 300 WinMag, 9.3 X 62, 373 H&H, 416 Rigby, 404 Jeffery in the rifle calibers. I would be interested in any Barnes/Vihta combinations for any of those. But if they are in the Reloading Manual I'll go ahead and order the manual.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Have you referenced Steve's pages to get a good idea on any of these?

Vihtavuori may have many of these on their website.