THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Done with Lee Auto Prime, suggestions for replacement?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Done with Lee Auto Prime, suggestions for replacement?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have used the Lee Auto Prime for years, but recently broke the lever. I figured, no problem, I will just order a new one. Since they were only like $3 for the lever, and they are made out of very cheap pot metal, I thought I would plan ahead and order 3 of them. NONE of them fit the connecting rod! All of them are way too tight and the connecting rod has to be forced into the slot on the lever and has no play at all. And Lee doesn't even have an email address on their website to complain.
Suggestions on a replacement? I am pretty ticked off, I know they are cheap, but I gave them 3 chances to ship a part that would work.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2ndtimer:
I have used the Lee Auto Prime for years, but recently broke the lever. I figured, no problem, I will just order a new one. Since they were only like $3 for the lever, and they are made out of very cheap pot metal, I thought I would plan ahead and order 3 of them. NONE of them fit the connecting rod! All of them are way too tight and the connecting rod has to be forced into the slot on the lever and has no play at all. And Lee doesn't even have an email address on their website to complain.
Suggestions on a replacement? I am pretty ticked off, I know they are cheap, but I gave them 3 chances to ship a part that would work.

info@leeprecision.com

or

4275 HIGHWAY U
HARTFORD WISCONSIN 53027
262-673-3075 Voice
262-673-9273 FAX

I just went to

http://www.leeprecision.com

and burrowed down to find their contact information.

My experience with the techs at Lee Precision has been pretty good. Usually a one-day turnaround on getting answers and only two or three cycles to get a satisfactory answer. (Sometimes it takes a while for me to explain myself clearly.

They are VERY good once they understand what you are asking.

To answer your specific question: I have an RCBS bench primer, RCBS Hand primer and Lee Hand primer. I never use any of them. I prime on my press.

My RCBS Rock Chucker has plenty of leverage, and, while some say this down not allow them to "feel" the seating of the primer, I found the fingertip control gives me excellent "feel". I just use my fingers on the lever rather than my whole arm and body weight.

On my Pro-1000 Lee Presses (which are in the process of being retired in favor of my Lee Classic Turret) it did not make any sense to prime off-press. They are progressives, after all.

The same applies to the Classic Turret. It makes no sense to pull the case off the press just to prime it when there is a perfectly good priming system right there. I adjusted the lever so that the primer seating takes place while the handle is right near the top of the press. Again, using my fingers, the seating is very easy to feel.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Try reversing your connecting rod right to left. The lever and the connecting rods on some have a tapered interface.
I suspect that all of your replacements will work fine.After you get the new fitted to the old apply a little grease. Seating about 50 larger primers in tight primer pockets will loosen up the fit.
I say this assuming you have the zinc die cast connecting rod. If you have the steel connecting rod you have a better set up that might take a file to make the new levers fit.
What you need to keep in mind is that the tool has been in continuous production in one form or another since the late 1960s. There are bound to be some design revisions along the way that result in miss-matched parts.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I do have a tapered interface but none of the 3 new levers I received would fit the steel rod. I had to file them quite a bit to make them fit. They couldn't even fit half way in as they arrived from the factory. Even after filing them enough to fit all the way into the lever, they required additional filing to be able to function. I guess I will just use the priming arm on my Rockchucker Press. I get tired of the Lee levers breaking on tight primer pockets.
Thanks again for the replies.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady unit is satisfactory.

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I switched to the RCBS universal hand primer. Pricey, but very nice. Lee's newer model XR autoprime has a larger square tray, but it does not easily detach from the handle and lay flat on the bench for easier loading. The UHP does not need shell holders either (good match for Forster Co-Ax, since it doesn;t either). They are a bit of a pain to switch primer sizes, but my wife bought me a second one so I can keep one set up for each size. The trays are interchangeable, so I can load up two trays of either size and go to town hand priming.

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the replies. I do have a tapered interface but none of the 3 new levers I received would fit the steel rod. I had to file them quite a bit to make them fit. They couldn't even fit half way in as they arrived from the factory. Even after filing them enough to fit all the way into the lever, they required additional filing to be able to function. I guess I will just use the priming arm on my Rockchucker Press. I get tired of the Lee levers breaking on tight primer pockets.
Thanks again for the replies.

Interesting that you have broken the lever.
I have several of the old style tools with the screw in shell holder. I have used them exclusively since they first came on the market.
I have never broken one. I take a little time to the the primer aligned with the pocket. Some do take a bit of force but never enough to break anything.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Suggestions on a replacement?

Sure, ANOTHER Lee Autoprime. And buy 2 or 3 complete units this time. Set one up for small and the other for large primers, that will save you having to fiddle when switching primer size. Should one unit fail, you still have a functional device, and can afford to wait for spare parts or replacement units. These devices are so cheap, it is not really worth worrying about one breaking. And in all fairness, they do last a long time, and they do work well.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that would be my answer
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
quote:

Sure, ANOTHER Lee Autoprime. And buy 2 or 3 complete units this time. Set one up for small and the other for large primers, that will save you having to fiddle when switching primer size. Should one unit fail, you still have a functional device, and can afford to wait for spare parts or replacement units. These devices are so cheap, it is not really worth worrying about one breaking. And in all fairness, they do last a long time, and they do work well.

- mike

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 auto primes on the bench have been using them from the time they came out.

I have freind that lives near lee every few years I give him all my broken parts he takes them to lee and they give him new parts.

They work well but do wear out.

I think I have only paid for two of the 7 or 8 I have worn out lee has always replace the broken parts for free. I hav reloaded 10s of thousands of rounds with them

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I've been using the RCBS Hand Priming Tool. I have the priming kits for both Redding presses and my RCBS press but the Hand Tool is the most convenient especially with a couple of extra shell holders. I've considered the Universal but I have everything I need right now. If I break or wear somthing out I might get the Universal but I'll probably go with another of this one since I have the holders. Since you have to take the unit apart to change shell holders I don't know if it's worth having one in large and one in small.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I haven't broken anything yet on the Lee hand priming tool and I've been using one for 29 years.

I bought a second one in thee mid 90s because I got tired of switching between large and small primers.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did like the other poster. When they first came out, I bought three. One for Large primers, one for small primers and one as a back up since at the price, you couldn't expect something that you were gonna hand down to your children. Well, number three is still on the shelf, unopened. And Lord only knows how many K of primers I've pumped thru the other two.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
aps bench model, or rcbs hand primer ...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Jeffe said... anything built of pot metal is eventually going to fail. I used Lee for a while but found out early on it was cheaply made.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
anything built of pot metal is eventually going to fail. I used Lee for a while but found out early on it was cheaply made.

True, and True.

However, neither fact makes the Lee Auto Prime anything other than the very best bargain in a precision priming tool available. Keep the friction/camming parts coated with a little petroleum jelly and the Lee tool will eventually break or wear out, but not before you do. If you should be so lucky as to outlast the Lee, just buy another one (for one-quarter the price of the competition) and you're still money ahead.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like both Sam and Jeffe above I have and use the RCBS Hand Primer.

It uses the newer RCBS shellholders or the Redding that I have. It is kind of in the middle qulaity wise. The tool works great when it and you are in rhythm. You have to hold it and shake it a bit just right and it seems to go. It has good feel . It can also be fussy. I have had the tray open and the anvil not return. It also has some little plastic bits on the feeding sleeve.

I also have the Sinclair priming tool. It works great - but I did have to send it back as it arrived and would not accept the Lee shellholders it uses. The tool is tight dimensionally anyway - but it was super tight. The tool head had some machining burrs that were not polished out. Sinclair fixed it right up. On the down side it only handles one primer at a time and its more expensive too. But it's unlikely to ever wear out.

So it leaves me priming several ways. Interstingly enough my Redding Big Boss 2 seats rifle primers very well. I use it for a few, the Sinclair on rifle if I prime them ahead (20+), and the RCBS for 38's etc.(50+).

And the Dillon for more than 250 Smiler.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
RCBS Universal Hand Primer.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Rusty said!
I have no Lee stuff and can't see the reason to have 2 separate shell holders for every cartridge I load for. Also, as far as I'm concerned, I buy something, I want it to last & not have to be replaced because of wear every few years.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Lots of good tools out there but I haven't been able to wear out my Lee Autoprime, either.

I bought it in 78 or 79 and I can't begin to imagine how many primers it has installed. Just out of curiosity, what did the primer look like after the thumb lever broke? I've had to ride hard on many thousands of small rifle primers into worked over military 5.56 brass that didn't quite have all the pocket crimp removed. Some looked pretty flat and ugly but fired. Wore my thumb out long before I had any chance of wearing out the tool.

But as Stonecreek said, there is a tiny bit of routine maintenance (about once a year for me) involving lubing the lever to keep them in good shape. Small price to pay for a life-time tool.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have my original Lee Primer tool. Have not broken a lever yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I could find it I would send you my Lee--I never could figure why people like them, the seperate shellholder thing put me off from the jump, and they are just poor quality to me. The RCBS universal is the ticket for me--I have two of them, one for small rifle, one for large and magnum.

I also have a sinclair hand primer, super high quality, but feeding primers one at a time by hand ain't my thing...bought it when I still had a job and was in my 'experimenting' stage of reloading equipment purchases....

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check this thread. Same question.

http://thefiringline.com/forum...posted=1#post4263323
or if the link does not work, paste this into your browser
thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4263323&posted=1#post4263323

Lost Sheep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
quote:

- mike

+ another....I hated switching back n forth between large and small !!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I got fed up with the Lee pot metal Autoprime tools about three years ago. I had two of them, one for Large Primers and one for Small Primers.
I replaced them with Sinclair's priming tools, made from steel. I'll never go back to the Lee's. Time is not an issue for me, so handling every primer is a non-problem using Sinclair tools. Primers get seated correctly now.

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
RCBS hand primer....

.....or buy several Lee primers.

I've used both & broken one of the latter (sorry Claude) on Wolf LP primers & .45ACP brass - not really the tool's fault.
The RCBS is MUCH more ergonomic & places less stress on ageing hands when priming large numbers of cases.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Lee hand Primer (20 plus years old) It worked fine until I tried a WSM case which would not fit through the pot metal opening. So rather than grind out the opening I bought an RCBS universal primer. I like it better.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prime on the press. And I refuse to mess with small primers, so I only buy large primer calibers. Works for me.

Posts: 16145 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
RCBS Universal Hand Primer.

Me too. Once you get the feel for it, it's very easy and smooth to use. I bought two and set one up for large primers and the other for small so I didn't have to switch it out. Got that idea from someone here, but I don't remember who.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After 20 years of use, the handle didn't break on my Lee Auto-Prime, the gray link between the body and the handle broke. I planned on ordering an RCBS hand primer, but when I was at Cabela's I saw they had the new Lee Auto-Prime XR on sale, and I already have all of their shell holders, so what the hell I bought it. It works very well, much better designed than the old one, separates the shell from the rest of the primers, square tray and all the rest. In the end, buy either the RCBS or the Lee, whichever you like, but quit trying to fix the old primer tool. You'll be happier with a new one.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote