Find
Notify
Tools

Disposal, or giveaway?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted
Didn't know a category to put this in, so I just picked this one. I'm not a reloader myself.

I received several boxes of reloaded 7X57 cartridges, 175 gr. bullets, with the purchase of a rifle I made a while back. He didn't keep too good of records, no markings on the boxes, just put back in old factory boxes. The biggest thing is the finish where the bullet meets the brass doesn't look to clean and several pieces of brass appear to have hairline cracks.

I've never fired these. I was just wondering how best to dispose of these? Dig a deep hole? Give them to someone (making them aware of the problems, of course)? Ask local law enforcement?

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I would pull the bullets and save, for the rest........would dump that powder, crimp case mouths shut and scrap that brass.......why take a unnecessary chance of a accident? r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Being that you don’t reload and have a practical and safe way to pull bullets, see if your local law enforcement will take them off your hands. Not that you can’t clamp the cartridges bodies in a vise and pull the bullets with pliers, you still have to deal with the primers so why bother?

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone on this forum who lives near you can take them off your hands.

Some people don’t fear law enforcement and have no reason to fear them either. space

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Maybe someone close by will read this and contact me. I can contact the local constable that taught the CHL renewal class if nothing else.

My father-in-law use to reload and he probably has a way to pull them, but...that will be at least an afternoon "lesson" ending with me hauling back boxes and boxes of stuff that will sit in my garage instead of his. Not that I'm not grateful; but you'd be amazed at the amount of crap I've respectfully hauled back to my house to keep from hurting his feelings.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not that I'm not grateful; but you'd be amazed at the amount of crap I've respectfully hauled back to my house to keep from hurting his feelings.

Been there done that! I know what you mean.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just post them on Craig's list as freebies to a handloader.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
Being that you don’t reload and have a practical and safe way to pull bullets, see if your local law enforcement will take them off your hands. Not that you can’t clamp the cartridges bodies in a vise and pull the bullets with pliers, you still have to deal with the primers so why bother?

Vise and pliers are NOT the tools for pulling bullets.

Law enforcement doesn't want your old ammo.

I'd be hesitant to meet anyone from Craig's List. Why tell a complete stranger where you live and that you own firearms?

RCBS intertia bullet puller probably runs less than $20. They're handy to own if you shoot anything.

Keep the bullets if they're any good. Toss the powder, recycle the brass.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
pull the bullets -- get a collet puller and collet for the 284. It will take 15 seconds per case

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38641 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take them to the range with you.
probably someone there would take them.

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:

That is the best advice yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:

That is the best advice yet.

And don't feel guilty about leaving them on the bench or whatever. It's not "litter."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wm.S.Ladd:
I'd be hesitant to meet anyone from Craig's List. Why tell a complete stranger where you live and that you own firearms?[QUOTE]

Maybe you should use some imagination.
Meet them in a parking lot or are you afraid of your own shadow?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get rid of stuff all the time with Craig's list.

If it won't fit in a garbage can, take a picture and give it away.

When they send an email, I agree to leave it in my driveway. I never speak with them on the phone or meet them. Junk disappears.

I charge for the cars I want to get rid of, but I can get rid of cars fast with Craig's list.

Although Craig's list is run by ultra liberals, they are currently under attack by other ultra liberals in the media for putting newspapers out of business, by taking away the classified add business.

Look for lots of anti Craig's list stories in the media to scare the suggestible.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey how much do you want for it? How much do you have?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote