Find
Notify
Tools

458 Win Mag with Woodleigh 480s
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted
Would any of you 458 Win Mag folks mind sharing some experiences with this particular combination? Have a potential project and would like to see where I might be going with it.

thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested too. was thinking about using those is an all around load.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powders that work extremely well in a .223 Remington with 50-55 grain bullets are go to powders in the .458 Winchester with heavy bullets. Ramshot Exterminator, AA 2230,Hodgdon's Benchmark and H 335, should all be good powders. Keep your brass annealed, and use a firm crimp. I don't flare my .458's case neck, instead I use a .50 calibre VLD inside neck chamfering tool and use 7-8 twists. I have never had a problem with crumpled cases, or neck tension. As a bonus, my cases last longer.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to try the Woodleigh 480 grain bullets in my .458 Winchester until I realised that the bullets I was looking at were made for a .450 Nitro Express. The cannelure was in the wrong place for use in a .458 Winchester. I understand that Woodleigh now makes a 480 grain bullet for a .458 Winchester, but I would make certain that they were the correct model before I used them.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
AA 2230 is the single best 458 Win Mag powder I've ever used . It's just a great powder.

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand that Woodleigh now makes a 480 grain bullet for a .458 Winchester, but I would make certain that they were the correct model before I used them.

They sure do..., which makes a lot of sense for those wishing to duplicate the 450 NE.

Gumboot...do you find your loads heavily compressed?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this line:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...851064321#1851064321

I do not consider these loads "heavily compacted"...but I started using 450 grain North Forks in the 458 win. mag.- 2250-2300 fps.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can state the following.

I have used the 480gr Woodleigh Softs and Solids, in my 450 No2.

I have used the softs on cape buff, eland, and wildbeast, and the solids on giraffe, cape buff and elephants, all with perfect results.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can find the 480gr Woodleighs for the 458 Win Mag at Huntingtons. They should have them in stock.

http://www.huntingtons.com/bullets_woodleigh.html

The 480gr Woodleigh softs and solids with the 458 Win Mag cannelure on them will allow you to crimp in the proper place for the 458 and the bullet takes up less space in the case than a 500gr or the 480gr standard cannelured 450 Nitro bullet.

AA2230 is "the" powder for the 458 Win!

My loads are 72grs of AA2230 which is a non compressed load and would allow for a little more powder if you wanted. You can shake the loaded round and hear the powder. Plenty of room.

This load gave me 2218fps out of 24 inch barrel on my H&H. I shot this load in 95-98 degree heat with no signs of any pressure problems.

The AA2230 is very heat stable and with the non compressed load it will be very dependable in the heat. This is what I was looking for so I stopped at 72grs.

Long live the 458 Win Mag!

Posts: 385 | Location: So. Nevada | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
see below thread

http://forums.accuratereloadin...811086231#4811086231

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote