Find
Notify
Tools

Swede & the Barnes X
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted
I have just been measuring freebore and throat in my 6.5x55 custom sporter in order to get the optimum COL using Barnes X 140 gr bullets.

I have been advised that unlike other bullets (that I normally seat 0.020 from the lands) the Barnes X likes to be 0.050 from the lands. In my particular rifle that gives me a COL of 2.930. Now with the long Barnes X that is a lot of bullet in the case taking up good powder space.

Anyone else heard about the deep seating with the Barnes? Or anyone tried this combination.

I am thinking about using a ball powder like H414 to make best use of the available space. I am wanting accuracy rather than speed so 2600 fps will suit me fine.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Is this a modern gun chambered in 6.5X55, or a mil surp 96 action? The concern about seating them off the lands is the pressure spikes if you seat em close.

On the other hand, I know a fellow who loves X bullets, and seats them right off the lands. His thinking is, worst case pressure wise is right of the lands, so he finds max pressure up close, then backs off if needed to make them shoot.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Paul: It is a modern rifle. The advice I got about backing off 0.050 was generic to all Barnes X in all calibres, and not to do with shooting through a possible weak milsurp action.

Regards

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reguarly shoot two "Swedes", both beautifull examples of the military gunmakers art. Both are quite accurate, the M1896 (mfg 1919) just put three shots into 1/2 inch at 200 yds (issue sights) with the 155 gr Sierra, a very long bullet indeed. Generally a COL of 3.10" or so works out well in these rifles as the throat (not worn) is deeper, leaving plenty of room for powder. Different makers have differing philosophies as to throat design, sounds as if yours is somewhat shorter than would be optimum for the 140 gr Barnes given it's great length and common preference for freebore. Let us know how this comes out as I have been considering trying the Barnes for hunting Caribou or Moose.

Posts: 324 | Location: Fairbanks Alaska USA | Registered: 10 June 2000Reply With Quote