New
Find
Notify
Tools

One Load for the 270 WIn.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking to develop one load for the 270 Win. for deer, antlope, caribou, hopefully someday sheep and goat, and for the occasional black bear. I was thinking of the Hornady 140gr. BTSP, or the 130gr. or 150gr. Nosler Partition. I'd appreciate your thoughts and opinions on this.

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Blackwater>
posted
Craig, there's nothing there that a 130 gr. Nosler Partition wouldn't do well on. If a .270 won't shoot with 55 gr. of IMR-4350 or with 60 gr. of H-4831, then something's usually wrong with the bedding or the throat of the barrel. Just my 2 cents' worth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig I've used the 140 gr Hornady with good sucess.H4831 is hard to beat in the 270. RL22 is also good.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
130 or 150 Nosler Partition. Go with whichever shoots best in your particular rifle. My current .270 likes the 150's, but previous ones liked the 130. I've attempted to re-invented the wheel several times with load (and field )testing different bullets and powder combinations, but come back to one: Nosler Partitions and a goodly amount of 4831.

------------------
"shoot 'em if you got 'em!"

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
I think you're on the right track with the Hornady 140-grain Interlock, if your rifle shoots it well. You may also want to experiemnt with their 130-grain SST. Also, the two best powders, in my opinion, have already been listed...H4831SC and Re-22. I have really come to love Re-22, specifically.

None of the animals you mentioned, I think, requires a Partition for effective kills. Well, just maybe the black bear, but that's a definite "maybe."

Good luck,
RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackwater hit mine right on the head!

130gr Partition, 55.0grs IMR-4350, CCI Large Rifle Primer, Seated .010" off the lands. Add that all up to .75" groups and 3,050fps out of my 22" barrel.

Mike

------------------
Victory through superior firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Has anyone tried H1000 or is that a little too slow. I was looking in my speer book and they list that as 64g compressed.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
130 gr. XLC's for everything, if your gun will shoot them. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Vek>
posted
My brother, just two weeks ago, shot a deer (young but large muley, close, like 40 yards) with a 150 partition over I4831. Stem to stern, hit shoulder knuckle on way in, recovered under skin next to cornhole. Bullet looked like you'd see in an advertisement. I was impressed.

The local gunshop here gets seconds from Nosler from time to time (like, 14 bucks per 50), and these were cannelured bullets in little sealed baggies with a label stating they were graded out of normal production runs. Looked fine to me.

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vek:
My brother, just two weeks ago, shot a deer (young but large muley, close, like 40 yards) with a 150 partition over I4831.

The local gunshop here gets seconds from Nosler from time to time (like, 14 bucks per 50), and these were cannelured bullets in little sealed baggies with a label stating they were graded out of normal production runs. Looked fine to me.

I'm not sure what you were shooting; I've never seen a .277" Partition with a cannelure. In fact, only magnum caliber and roundnose Partitions have cannelures. Check it out: http://www.nosler.com/chartpartition.html

With the performance you mentioned, they may have been Hornady Interlocks or Speer Grand Slams. If you find out what they were, let us know. It sounds like they worked well.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RSY,

I remember reading an article concerning the use of premium bullets in factory ammo. The article stated that component bullets supplied to the ammo manufacturers were supplied with cannelures. It is quite possible the factory seconds that Vek's brother used were out of a production run to go to an ammo manufacturer.

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Craig:

Good point. I obviously hadn't thought of that.

RSY