New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 60g SP in .223
 Login/Join

<AndrewG>
posted
Has anyone got experience with Hornady's 60 grain soft point out of a .223 on game the size of coyotes. �My Ruger
M77 (the stainless model that someone put a canoe padle on and called it a stock) has a 1:12 twist and the load I use
drives them at 3000fps and they stabilise fine. �I am getting groups that rarely stray over the inch. �I really wanted an accurate load with 55 grain bullets and a little more velocity but after trying Speer, Sierra, Nosler, Winchester and some locally made bullets the best the rifle would do was around 2 inches at 100 yards. As soon as I fed it the 60 grain
Hornadys groups shrunk to MOA and seating depth does not make any great difference. �So my rifle has spoken and I now eagerly anticipate my next dingo hunt to see how they perform. �In the meantime any comments on these bullets (particulary out of a .222 or .223) would be appreciated. I have heard comments that they are a little more strongly constructed than other .224 diameter bullets and was even
hoping that they may prove effective on pigs.
Regards, Andrew Griffiths

one of us
posted Hide Post
you know... barnes makes a few X bullets in that caliber and Nosler makes a 60 grain partition. Maybe though they are hard to get.
check your email

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<rman>
posted
I have had great success with 60gr Nosler SPs when you could get them, and of late I use 60grs Vmax They shoot great and are devastating on coyotes. I use them in straight "Mexican Match" with military SS109(62gr) and they drive tacks. If your rifle wont shoot anything else, it will shoot these for sure.

------------------

<Goran>
posted
AndrewG, Hornady 60 gr opens up on 60 lbs small deer. Barnes bullets in this caliber may also open up. But I have tracked enough deers with Barnes to stay away.
Goran

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you'll like the 60 grain Hornadys. They'll open fast enough to be satisfactory for varmints, but like the 55 grain Hornady, hold together a bit better than most .224's.

I killed a 250 pound sow two weeks ago with 55 Hornadys out of a .223 (with a fairly light load, I might add -- about 2950 FPS). She went down almost in her tracks and stayed there.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<ssleefl>
posted
Stonecreek wrote "I killed a 250 pound sow two weeks ago with 55 Hornadys out of a .223 (with a fairly light load, I might add -- about 2950 FPS). She went down almost in her tracks and stayed there."

Words escape me. Hopefully that sow was in her pen and he just had to track her to the gate.

Jim Rome wrote," What was he thinking?"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,
The 60 gr. Hornady in SP or Hollow Point is the best Mule Deer and Whitetail bullet available for 22 cal. rifles...It will expand fully and penitrate broadside fully on shots up to a 150 yds. Thats the longest shot I will take with a 22 cal center fire and it must be broadside...I have shot several hundred African antelope with it and probably 15 or 20 Mule deer and Coues Deer in Mexico over the years. I tried the Nosler but, as much as I love Noslers, they perform better in calibers 308 and up...They are basically half solid and half expanding bullet and the expanded cross section is too small in calibers below 308, IMHO......

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote