Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap 416 Taylor ammo?
 Login/Join

<rolf>
posted
Hello fellow hunters.
I�ve a 416 Taylor that I love to hunt and shoot with. The only minus is the price of bullets. You lucky Americans can buy cheap cast bullets but they cost a lot over here in Sweden. Now my qustion is can you use .41 caliber pistol bullets? If not, do you have any other suggestions?
Regards
Rolf

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
My be you should think about ordering a mold an casting your own. Over here a get wheel weights for free and they make good bullets.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some thoughts:

.41 caliber pistol bullets are generally .410 (jacketed or cast) or .411(cast). They probably wouldn't fit your barrel very well, and I wouldn't expect a lot accuracy-wise. However, barrels are individuals, and some shoot undersize bullets reasonably well.

With cast-lead bullets, powder gases escaping around the loose-fitting outer circumference of the bullet might give you a good case of leading in your bore.

The expander plug in your sizer die is probably ground to expand your case necks to about .413 or so. If you choose to experiment with .41 pistol bullets, you may have to remove the expander plug from the stem in your sizer die to get enough neck tension to hold the bullets in place.

Cheers,
BigIron