Find
Notify
Tools

Powder measure use?
 Login/Join

Picture of Dr. strangelove
posted
Howdy All...

I would like to know, if it is safe to use my RCBS powdermeasure for blackpowder... (it is the one that follows, when purchesing a master reloading kit)

Now I am tired of weighting the black powder the slow way, but some say it is safe to use the RCBS... some say it is not safe...

If it is not safe, which measure should I get instead?

An apple a day
keeps the doctor away...

If you can strike me!

Posts: 21 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 14 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Nothing w/ a steel measureing chamber should be used. It needs to be brass or other non sparking alloy. I load by vol. so don't use a measure.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waitaminit:
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
Nothing w/ a steel measureing chamber should be used. It needs to be brass or other non sparking alloy. I load by vol. so don't use a measure.

???????????????

-----------------------------
Too bad the only people who know how to run the country are busy driving
cabs and cutting hair. ~George Burns

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
waitaminit, all BP is based off volume.. that's normal. in fact, ALL manual powder measures work by volume... just so happens that most reloaders work off the mass of that volume, and adjust the volume to change the mass

call the RCBS hotline and ask them if it's safe.. i would assume its nonsparking.

you can do this 2 ways... one is easier..

#1 ... weight a volume charge, in fact, weigh 10 of them, and average them out... that is the weight, in grains, that your volume takes. NEVER NEVER NEVER assuming that a different powder will have the same density (volume to mass) and weigh EVERYTHING if you change anything

#2 mess around with the powder measure until some volume matches your desired volume.. this is the least precise way...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote