New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nail polish for primer sealant?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm not trying to get in touch with my feminine side, but being aware lacquers are used by some manufacturers around the case mouth and primer pockets of completed rounds to seal them against moisture, and since nail polish is a form of lacquer, and its application is much more controlled than anything administered by a spray can - can clear nail polish be used safely as a way of waterproofing primers in assembled reloaded ammo?

Posts: 48 | Location: SE USA | Registered: 09 August 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I've heard of doing that, however, sealants are used on military ammo that might be subjected to torrential downpours; (as on the tank commanders weapon (M2)). Not just moisture; unsealed ammo will last 100 years minimum. Not sure what problem you want to solve.
I actually have several gallons of primer sealant I got from IAAP. The red lacquer stuff. One gallon gets thinned to make 30 gallons. Never used it; no need.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used it.

Different colors for different loads.

Don't any more

If it makes you feel good why not.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Why not? Two reasons;
1. Waste of valuable time.
2. If you get too much on it might cause chambering problems.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Why not? Two reasons;

Time is relevant to who's it is.

Then if your not smart enough to not put to much on your most likely not smart enough to reload.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can even thin it down wit acetone for thinner layer coverage.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have a customer who lives in a swamp in Louisiana. He is obsessive and seals the primers and around the bullets with Thinned lacquer using a pen for artists. Lays a perfect amount. Not sure what the pen is called but he gets it at the craft store.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We use nail polish to seal primers of loads we use underwater in our spearguns.

Works great.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I've accidentally dropped the odd loaded round into ice cold water where you might expect the sudden contraction of the air and contents in the case could vacuum water into the case but having retrieved the cartridges all have fired perfectly when used later in the piece.
If primers and projectiles are seated with normal resistance I think you will find the cartridge is well sealed against the elements.

No harm using nail polish though if you want to but as others have commented, need to ensure it is thinned enough so it doesn't gob up and look bubba. Good for identifying different loads although a permanent marker felt pen does that job well and can cover the whole primer without any issues arising.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSI01:
I'm not trying to get in touch with my feminine side, but being aware lacquers are used by some manufacturers around the case mouth and primer pockets of completed rounds to seal them against moisture, and since nail polish is a form of lacquer, and its application is much more controlled than anything administered by a spray can - can clear nail polish be used safely as a way of waterproofing primers in assembled reloaded ammo?

Yes I use clear on all ammo I load that is stored. Mine does get used in a constant drizzle at 40deg & 30 mph wind. tu2

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it works, the military does it - it can be time consuming to get right, if you don't have a perfectly timed machine to do ... but, heck, it would be faster than fly tying, and some guys love it.

too much could leave a residue ..

planning on sealing the case mouth, as well?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HA! The Military does a lot of
things too!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to worry. Then my son left some 300 rum in his pockets that went through the washer and dryer. They shot fine.

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why not? Two reasons;

I've used clear nail polish on some primers for many years.

I mainly shoot bolt action rifles, and with the strong camming action of the bolt, I fail to see how you could possibly get enough nail polish on a primer to cause a chambering problem.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive used it, have no idea if it worked but it always shot..seemed like a good idea at the time, but in reality Id almost bet its a waste of time unless you live in Alaska..maybe..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huuuuumid SE is something else altogether, too. Add heavy rain to the humidity and it gets REAL sloppy out there.

Posts: 48 | Location: SE USA | Registered: 09 August 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've heard of doing that, however, sealants are used on military ammo that might be subjected to torrential downpours; (as on the tank commanders weapon (M2)). Not just moisture; unsealed ammo will last 100 years minimum. Not sure what problem you want to solve.
I actually have several gallons of primer sealant I got from IAAP. The red lacquer stuff. One gallon gets thinned to make 30 gallons. Never used it; no need.

Yeah that's why there is an abundance (NOT) of WW2 Japanese surplus ammo. The Japs didn't water proof anything at first.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I hate to confess on my self but relevant to the discussion: I brought about 2 gallons of 223 back from a dog hunt a few years ago and set them outside temporarily. I had a senior moment and left them where a rain filled the bucket with water. I immediately drained them but they sat in that water for at least 24 hrs. Fast forward to a helicopter hunt two weeks ago. tested about 20 rounds and all fired as did the next 400 or so. Probably had one misfire for every 50-60 rounds thereafter and no hang fires. There weas a mix of commercial and military primers, mostly commercial. The misfires were more likely light primer strikes from an old Timney trigger and military primers as my AR with a different trigger group had no duds at all. Probably close to 800 rounds in all fired that day.

Point being have good neck tension and throw away loose primer pocket cases and water shouldn't be a problem. Granted not the best way to find out...

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails goes on hunting loads

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I've got one of those "big" hunts, I'll do it every time but I'm only dealing with 50+/- rounds at any given year so the minuscule amount of time is irrelevant.

I apply it and almost immediately wipe it off with a paper towel. It leaves a bit in the headstamp writing and around the primer and that's it.

Does it work? Hell, I have no idea. haha

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not had a misfire in the last 40 or 50 years in my rifles and I have been in Idaho blizzards and some mighty bad weather. I see no reason for it..I have had some misfires in pistols for whatever reason but it was not weather fouled primers.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote