New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital scales evaluation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've used a Dillon balance beam scale ever since I started reloading.

As a final check to make sure there is actually powder in there, after loading, I'd like to weight the round.

I'd like to stay under $100.00 if possible. I've read the evaluations on Midway for various scales. Lyman Micro-touch seems to be getting the best ratings.

Any electronic scale users here?

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I actually use a jewelers scale, which goes +/- 0.05 gr. That precision is unnecessary.

But when I checked my RCBS scale it is more or less spot on the +/- 0.1 gr. From what I've read most of those are generic scales with differing packaging and they all do their job.

Accuracy is irrelevant as long as you charge each cartridge the same.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1433 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It really depends on how accurate you want/need to be. If you are not weighing your brass, bullets and powder charges, just use a beam scale from any of the big reloading companies. They will be accurate enough to tell if there is powder in a cartridge.A good digital scale will be well beyond $100.00.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have had a couple of electronic scales in the past. I, like you, checked everything on a beam scale.
My advice is to just get one of these and then you don't have to worry. Dandy powder trickler .

Seriously! I use LEE powder measure kit to dip the charge into the pan. Press the button and it works the same way every time! And it's fast!
Oh, well! I'm ranting again! Eeker

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I finish charging the cases, I put the whole rack under a bright light and make sure that the powder level is consistant in all of the cases. I've weighed finished cartridges for other reasons but never to see if there was powder inside.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What got this front and center is I had my first ever squib in 4 years of reloading. I was working up different loads for my .40 S&W for use on my can. What I've done before with my 9mm is load a few, then check to see if they cycle. Then shoot a few at paper to check for key-holes. Then try them with my can.

I have a Dillon 550B progressive. Somehow loading one at a time got me out of sink. I have a light over my powder dropper and normally look at the powder before moving on to the next station. Taking the charged brass off the press before moving to the bullet seating station I somehow got an empty brass.

I punched out the squib with an aluminum cleaning rod so all turned out well. I didn't shoot a round behind the squib.

It got my attention and lesson learned. I checked all the rest of these loads on my bean scale, sorting by brand to make sure there were no more surprises.

The digital scale just seemed like a quick way to do a double check.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brass can vary a good bit in weight so that will not help when you wind up with both heavy and light cases in the same batch.
You would be better off to develop a more robust loading process.
Using your same press one day I loaded 14 boxes of 45 ACP. One round had no powder. Maintaining your concentration round after boring round can be difficult when loading that much ammo.
After that I changed to a case activated measure.
I would prefer a fully progressive press rather than the Dillon 550B.

quote:
Originally posted by deltam:
What got this front and center is I had my first ever squib in 4 years of reloading. I was working up different loads for my .40 S&W for use on my can. What I've done before with my 9mm is load a few, then check to see if they cycle. Then shoot a few at paper to check for key-holes. Then try them with my can.

I have a Dillon 550B progressive. Somehow loading one at a time got me out of sink. I have a light over my powder dropper and normally look at the powder before moving on to the next station. Taking the charged brass off the press before moving to the bullet seating station I somehow got an empty brass.

I punched out the squib with an aluminum cleaning rod so all turned out well. I didn't shoot a round behind the squib.

It got my attention and lesson learned. I checked all the rest of these loads on my bean scale, sorting by brand to make sure there were no more surprises.

The digital scale just seemed like a quick way to do a double check.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started with a beam scale, went to electronic, and am now back to a beam.

I wont be going to an electronic any time in the next 100 years or so. There may be a good electronic scale being built these days but I'm done speding money trying to find one!

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something else. I had just filled the hopper the day before with powder. I've noticed in the past after powder sits for a day it settles throwing the weight off. I filled three cases, dump them back in the hopper, then weigh and adjust after the third. Trying to make to many changes at one time, too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some powders can absorb a little moisture making the charge out of a measure a little heavier.
The double base powders will often attack your powder hopper too.

quote:
Originally posted by deltam:
Something else. I had just filled the hopper the day before with powder. I've noticed in the past after powder sits for a day it settles throwing the weight off. I filled three cases, dump them back in the hopper, then weigh and adjust after the third. Trying to make to many changes at one time, too.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I note a minus .1 g difference on my electronic scale as compared to my 45 years old Lyman M5 (made by Ohaus). The latter reads the exact weight of known control weights.

I'll keep referring to my old beam scale for checking rifle loads and reserve the faster working electronic for weighting bullets or spot verifying loads when loading for handguns on my Dillon XL650.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote