New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best bushing style die for the $$$$
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So lets have it, what do you guys feel the best bushing style resizing die for the dollar is? Most companies make one now days, and it seems most folks agree the worst thing going for low bullet runout is that dang expander ball on traditional dies. If a fella was trying to get the max return on investment, and had several to buy, what brand would you go with?

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right now I finished sizing tests and no longer use the Redding FL "S" die.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=782102899#782102899

I am working on the trim process:
http://castboolits.gunloads.co...owthread.php?t=42714

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wilson, Wilson, Wilson and an arbor press.
You will never look back. After sizing, use the Wilson inline seating die and all your ammunition is right.

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From rcasto
quote:
Wilson, Wilson,Wilson and an arbor press
Nothing further need said.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the money I'd can the bushing die idea and get a lee collet die and redding body die. OR, get a forster die or hornady die and have it custom honed to your liking for barely squeezing the neck.
Persoanlly...I love the flexibility of the lee collet and redding body die.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Forster bump and neck bushing die-- it's like 2 dies in one. I have Redding dies as well, but I think the Forster is as good while being more cost effective. I no longer load on the tailgate, so I gave my arbor press to my son. Wilson products are very good indeed, but I'm not going to buy an arbor press just to use their die. If you are a believer in cryo treating steel, you'll be thrilled to know Forster's bushings are cryo treated.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amamnn----the forster die looks interesting. Does it also size the body somewhat or just bump the neck?? I do like that the redding body dies seem to work over the body of a case slightly less than most my fl dies...at least the "feel" on the handle of the press sells me on the idea.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcasto:
You will never look back. After sizing, use the Wilson inline seating die and all your ammunition is right.

Wilson dies are nice BUT they are cut for a minimum chamber. I have several factory rifles with chambers too large for the Wilson tools.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
OR, get a forster die or hornady die and have it custom honed to your liking for barely squeezing the neck.

Hey kraky

You can essentially do the same thing with any FL die by just removing the expander stem if you can outside neck turn. Most FL dies are extremely concentric and all you need to do is turn the neck brass down thin enough to give the bullet grip you want and size with the FL die, expander ball removed. You will get very straight ammo.

For instance I have an old RCBS FL die that with the expander removed will size the outside of the neck to .329". Adding .003" bullet grip I want the outside of the loaded neck to be .332". So .332"-.308"=.024"/2=.012" neck thickness.

If I turn my brass to .012" and size with that die without the expander it will give me .003" bullet grip, no honing necessary.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Darn it Woods you keep trying to teach an old dog new tricks. I have a turner and really hadn't thought of taking that much off although I probably did a few rounds that way by accident in my old days. I always wondered why that rem brass was so wonderfully concentric in my 300 wby. Then I got onto your idea of the collet die and body die and figured why go through all the neck turning bs. I get the exact same almost perfect runnout without all the fooling around. I'm kind of a 30 cal guy so the turner can work for all my brass. Believe it or not I have several sets of hornady dies that make really great runnout just they way they are. Maybe one of these days I'll play with your idea a bit....but then again I think what I've got is working pretty good.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Yeah, when you've got a perfectly good collet and body die, what else do you need? Would be a good way to check what bullet grip does to group size. Hard to do that with a collet.

Either way no lube in the neck! Big Grin

Now have to go searching through my junk bin for all those old FL dies.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good information guys, I appreciate it. The last 7-8 years I haven't loaded near as much as I used to, but I am starting to get back into it pretty heavy again, and re-thinking some of my methods. You guys have given me lots to think about with the various threads on here, and I appreciate it.

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcasto:

Wilson!!!!!!!!! All the way.
I use Wilson's for every rifle I have except for a 30-30.