Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portable Reloading Kit???
 Login/Join

posted
To all you folks who are not lucky enough to have a range in there back yard, how do you
do your load development?

I normally load a few batches of different comb's to try, but as the range is about an
1 hour away, I'm considering taking my reloading gear with me & making up some loads on site. I'm hoping this will allow me
to follow up promising loads without having
to return another day.
Assumming I prepare enough brass before hand
to last the day, what other kit would i need?? Do people take a folding work bench with there normal press or use ione of those
Lee handloaders?? Any thoughts or comments
are most welcome!!

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike M>
posted
Benchrest shooters load at the range all the time -- but they are usually loading a pre-determined powder charge with a very accurate powder measure.

A problem often encountered with load development at the range is weighing charges in the wind. If even moderate winds are the norm in your area you will find this very frustrating.

We sometimes take loading equipment with us on extended prairie dog shoots. We use a small portable bench and just C-clamp the press and powder measure to it. However we load in the evenings at the motel not in the field.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee makes a little hand press. I bought one for just that purpose, but haven't tried it yet.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
I load all the time at the range on a portable bench I made. This bench is 2'x 3', made with 2x4s and 1/4 plywood for siding. It has an enclosure under the press(RCBS JR) for my scale(Redding #2)with a plexi-glass cover to read my scale. This set-up is not affected by light winds when placed in the back of my pick-up bed with Snug-Top shell. I prep my brass at home, load all my gear in my truck and head to the range for load development. I can try various powders,primers,bullets and seating depths. One of these days I'll try to post a picture. sure-shot

posted Hide Post
Sure-shot,

That sounds a pretty neat set up. I'm actually lucky that our range has an enclosed
"gallery" right behind the main benches, so I'm hoping I can set up out of the wind in there. I figure if I replace my normal powder
measure with some Lee scoops, I can trickle the difference onto the scales.

Denton,

I was thinking about the Lee hand press although I have some reservations about it being capable of producing really consistant results. can you tell me if it uses "standard" sized dies or are they special ones designed for that press??

Thanks,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It takes the standard dies.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Denton,

Thanks for that. I like the idea of using the same dies in my main O ring press as it would keep everything consistant.

When you get around to trying them, I'd be interested in hearing your results and opinions....

Pete

<Bruce Gordon>
posted
Midway sells a really nice little portable loading bench. It is $50 and does a superb job. It is a metal pole, base, and about a 12" square top piece that are all removable for easy transport. The whole thing only weighs a couple of pounds and it works superbly. It is listed as part no.155-024
Take a look at the picture in their catalog and you can see just how it works.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I tried loading at the two ranges that I frequent a few years back and finally concluded it was more trouble than it was worth. I took an RCBS Junior, mounted it on a 1X6 and clamped that to the shooting bench to use the press. Like Mike M. says, weighing the charges in the wind becomes a problem. I got around this using my scale in a Tupperware container as a windshield. The bottom was cut out with the scale inside. I finally determined it was just easier to load at home where accuracy and cleaniless were insured. It make take a bit longer to get a load worked out but the convenience and certainty that everything is right when you use all your facilities, is worth it.

You can pretty well zero in on what you are trying to determine in you development efforts and load several alternatives for each session. As mentioned, you have to shoot a bit more but you can obviously accomplish the same thing in the long run.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<PowderBurns>
posted
I've used the Lee Hand Press for field loads. It works as well as my RockChucker. The down side is that it takes both hands and is REALLY slow.

But it produces accurately formed loads.

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

posted Hide Post
Powderburns,

When you say the Lee is slow and takes two hands, does that apply to the bullet seating
as well? If things go according to plan,
all the case prep will be done at home on my normal press so I'll only be using the Lee
to seat bullets,

Thanks,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete E:

I have a lee hand press and find seating bullets takes three hands:
1) to hold the press
2) to hold the bullet in the case mouth
3) to run the handle

I load rifle rounds at home, but have found tweaking pistol rounds at the range really works great.

I take my lee pro1000 (after verifing which disk gives a max load) and try various loads as suits me.

Typically, I work down til I get to the 'doesn't cycle' and settle on a disk up two sizes.

Only one item (plus components) to carry and is very quick with no wind sensitiveity.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I've got everything mounted on a 2x6. I just clamp it down to a little shelf we have at the range. There is a little shed that I will use for weighing powder. You gotta keep it out of the wind..

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JerryO:
[B] Pete E:

I have a lee hand press and find seating bullets takes three hands:
1) to hold the press
2) to hold the bullet in the case mouth
3) to run the handle

Recono:

Lee says sit down, hold the press in your left hand, insert the case then the bullet with your right hand, and then press the right handle against your leg. Whether you can fully seat and crimp that way may depend on what you're loading, but I would think that you could at least get it started that way.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<David E>
posted
Pete and Recono
I don't know whose seater you are using, but when I made my seater die for my 22 Epperson Cricket (25ACP necked to 22) I made the seater stem so that it would drop well below the die opening. This allows me to set the case and bullet in place and the seater stem holds the bullet in the case mouth during the stroke. Frees up at least one hand and with these small cases that is a big help.

<PRonnberg>
posted
Depends a bit what kind of load development. For only getting to just the right level of powder for my IPSC loads, I take the Dillon 550 to the range with a C-clamp and the Crono and just adjust the powdermeasure until I reach the velocity I want. For my 375 I got a very neat portable Lyman single stage. I presize & prime the brass at home - and again same process - screw the powder measure up until I reach the velocity needed. This obviously means having one powdermeasure available per powdertype (over the years I have accumulated a load of Dillon powder measures which I use for everything). Back at home you can then record the weight of the load you left it at - and more importantly - load larger quantities of ammo with that batch of powder withouth fiddling with the powdermeasure. I have noticed that the actual weight of powder is not so important as batches vary anyway so much you have to re-check velocity and powdermeasure each time you change batch.
Rgds., Peter

<Dasmoofler>
posted
I won't measure powder a the range anymore because of the wind. Now, I just fill small glass vials at home to predetermined amounts of powder. It takes some time, but is much less frustrating than fighting the wind!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just started to do my reloading at the range I bought an arbor press for seating bullets and harrel powder measure and clamp my rockchucker to the bench, you could do brass work at home if you have enough brass. The aggrivation of trying to guess at home then drive an hour was pain. No more bringing home hot loads, easier to try more than one powder, and adjust seating depth. You can even tell yourself you will spend less money on gas going to and from range, I do not but now I come home with loads I know are working not to adjust them and have to hope they work next time. Buy a good powder measure get familiar with it at home and I think you will be happy you did.

Posts: 178 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Stan>
posted
Go to this site and check out this press.

www.benchrest.com/hoodpress/

I have one and it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Mine will take standard 7/8-14 dies and also inline (i.e. Wilson) dies. Mr. Charles Hood will stand behind his product. This is considerably lighter than my Rockchucker.

<grkldoc>
posted
Once I find the maximum safe performance for a given bullet/powder combination that appears to have promising groups, I load a given powder charge for say 12 rounds (4 groups of three) and leave the bullet seated proud. The Lee hand press, Redding competition seater, and Davidson comparator is used to reach the desired seating depth. For a given load you can then find the best distance from the lands for accuracy. Here you can dial in the seating depth you want and verify with the comparator. As for the Lee hand press, it was all I could afford for years(it costs $17) and allowed me to set up a simple reloading bench. It produces accurate enough reloads and has the additional benefit of portability.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dasmoofler:
I won't measure powder a the range anymore because of the wind. Now, I just fill small glass vials at home to predetermined amounts of powder. It takes some time, but is much less frustrating than fighting the wind!

I agree. When I have enough cases, like when I'm doing planned load development and don't want to or can't pull bullets later, instead of using glass vials, I actually charge the cases with powder, double up a small piece of Saran wrap and cover the case mouth, put a rubber band around the case neck to hold the Saran wrap, and mark the charge weight on the case with a Magic Marker. Transport the things in my loading block, and just seat & crimp at the range.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<+P>
posted
I use to precharge as many cases and charges that I think I need at home and plug the cases with foam earplugs and keep the cases separated in the casestands and mark the charge weight on the cases with a magic marker and then only bring the press and the bullets to the range.

Anders �sterberg.

<alessiii>
posted
As far as the lee hand press, it works great for seating bullets at the range. because I prep and size and prime at home I use an inexpensive lee powder throw that I installed a handle on to throw a couple of tenths of a grain short trickle up and produce a real consistent load.
It also is a real time efficient way of working up a load and shooting at a pace that doesn't overheat my barrel. with a little ingenuity it's real productive. once I've worked up a specific load I'll load up at home on the rockchucker.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a Lee handpress for a couple of years, and find myself loading more ammo inside the house with it than outside in the shop, which isn't air conditioned. I bought a set of Lee dippers years ago and brought them out of retirement, and I load almost everything with it and the handpress. I have never loaded at the range, too much activity and noise and I want to concentrate when I put explosives in small brass containers.!! Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too reload at the range for the same reasons stated - greater efficiency, faster load development and just don't like to take too hot/slow loads home to pull bullets.

I size and prep brass at home. Then I mounted my RCBS partner press on a 12"x12" board to clamp to the benches at the range.
I use my standard seaters except for a few Wilson in-line seaters that are used with an arbor press. I can also clamp the powder measure to the bench. Even here in GA wind is a problem for my scale, so I made a plexiglass box with a hinged door to access the scale. This way I don't have to guess at the powder charges beforehand and can also vary seating depths to finetune the load.

It all works - the only drawback is the plexiglass box is kinda fragile, so have to be careful when transporting it to the range.
Also, the plexiglass box only cost about $20 to build.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote