New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Sierra in denial ????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
but so far I have found that if one wants to do accuracy testing in a rifle to start with a flat base Sierra bullet. This I am quite sure of.

Savage99,

I would generally agree with what you have said. I assume you are meaning that if you don't get going quickly with those bullets then you likely have a problem with the rifle etc.

Three other bullets I would include are the 130 grain Speer Hollow point for the 308 Winchester and the 300 grain Hornady 375 round nose and 500 grain Hornady 458 round nose.

Nosler Ballistic tips have also been good for me.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done a little testing with my 308 Bench rifle and I will NEVER use Sierra again. I had a 165 Matchking go through the paper sideways and can never trust them again. But of course that is just my experience and bad luck,but I still don't trust Sierra any longer. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Derf
A 1in48 twist is for black powder not smokeless powder rifles.

Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Quote:

THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER BULLET MANUFACTURERS THAT HAVE GONE ABOVE AND BEYOND R&D TO MAKE A PREMIUM BULLET AS ACCURATE OR MORE ACCURATE THAN A SIERRA. IMO.

Yours in Health,

Doc.

If that were the norm then this thread would have no basis and probably would have had very little response.

I always find the contrast in personal experiences in these standard vs premium threads to be very contradicting to say the least. I expect the truth lies somewhere inbetween and am gratefull for having some personal experience of my own to draw on to help reckognize just how deep some of the BS gets.

Apparently Sierra feels that they fill a niche just as they are and if that were not the case then Im sure they would be entertaining other avenues. Instead of telling them what they should do with their ill operated business, maybe those with more wisdom should just do it themselves.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago when there weren't a great number of bullets out there for the handloader my dad told me "Speer in the field, and Sierras from the bench." I'm 67 so you can figure how many years ago that was. It's still true. I don't think there's a better or harder hitting bullet than the Speer Grand Slam. Yet, most of my time now is spent at the bench, and I'd be lost without my Sierras. Some things don't change I guess. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Doc & beemanbeme,

What experience with Woodleigh SP bullets do the two of you have? I know you have NONE, or you would not be making the statements you just made.

Have a nice day.

ASS_CLOWN

I have no experience with Woodleigh. But all of your other comments about the other bullets were absolutes, as you put them. Simply not true.

Have a nice day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

My comments about the other (non-Woodleigh) bullets were far from "aboslutes". The statement I made was a relativity statement of how these other bullets (non-Woodleigh) performed versus the Woodleigh Weldcore Soft Points, particularly in bore sizes of 0.366" on up. Since POP is speaking specifically of a load for his 378 Weatherby magnum, I felt (and still do) that my statement of relative performance among the various bullets being discussed is VERY SOUND and SPOT ON!

I hope I have at least made myself clear.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc & beemanbeme,

What experience with Woodleigh SP bullets do the two of you have? I know you have NONE, or you would not be making the statements you just made.

Have a nice day.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
I think all have a valid point. Sierra is interested in accuracy and it don't take premiun bullets to punch paper, just accurate bullets. They always have made great varmint bullets. But lets face the facts, if you want to move a wagon you don't hitch a duck to the draw bar, get a jack ass. Sierra dosen't have any interest in premium hunting bullets unless your hunting paper bucks or bulls. Don't whip the duck because he would rather swim than pull your wagon. It has been concluded that for the hunter there are great bullets without Sierra.

I guess the new Ballistic tips are tougher than they used to be. The last muley I shot with 150gr BT in my 30-338 turned the vitals into "Jello", just liquified the chest cavity and the BT was not to be found.

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote