THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    What do you consider when you are thinking about getting a new Cartridge?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you consider when you are thinking about getting a new Cartridge?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Back around `71 I walked into Bullseye Gun Shop in Havelock, NC. Needed to get some Hornady 30cal 150gr SPs and some 35cal 200gr RNs. That is what we used in the M14s and 358Win M99s with reloaded Pull-Down 7.62NATO ammo for our Hunting.

When I got in the Shop, one of the guys was messing around doing some Reloading on-the-job. We talked a minute and I happened to notice he was using a Sierra 30cal 180gr BTSP. shocker What a fine looking Bullet that was back then. He was putting it in a 30-06 case and had great "War Stories" of the Deer and Bear he had slayed with it.

He even gave me one of those Bullets, which I carried constantly in my pocket, and I asked a lot of folks what they thought about it. Not many people I knew were using them back then because they were using the Hornady Bullets.

I didn't have a rifle at that time to use the Bullet at the Velocity and Distance I wanted to use it. Kept thinking about it and after checking the Manuals of that time, decided the Speer might serve my needs better. Eventually got a 300WinMag and even with the pitiful Reticles in the scopes of that time, the Bullet/Rifle combination sure made l-o-n-g shot opportunities a lot easier.

Since I'm interested in a "clean 1-shot Kill", the Bullet is of paramount importance to me. How it is "Designed" determines what specific Impact Velocity Range I desire. And once I determine that, then I look to see which Cartridges are capable of providing that Range of Velocities. We are certainly blessed with a large abundance of Cartridges today.

And I do want "accurate" rifles for those specific Bullets in those specific Cartridges. Over the years I've realized some brands of rifles are just easier to get the accuracy level I desire, so I lean toward them. And if they refuse to make them in a Cartridge I want, I will rebarrel one, but I really prefer to use something from the factory. That way, it simplifies making a recommendation to a Beginner and at less cost for them.

The variety of everything available in Bullets, Powders, Cases, Rifles and Scopes today is just AMAZING! It wasn't all that long ago that it just wan't that way.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:

The variety of everything available in Bullets, Powders, Cases, Rifles and Scopes today is just AMAZING! It wasn't all that long ago that it just wan't that way.

We are definitely living in the 'good old days' as far as reloading is concerned. Except skyrocketing prices. But availability of components and tools is first rate.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Originally posted by Hipster:
... Power was a consern, enough to do the job at reasonable ranges but not too much as to destroy a lot of meat.

Shootability was also important and also went hand in hand with power. Recoil had to be moderate in a light rifle with a medium length barrel. ...
I pulled these two sentences out because they lead me to ask, with those requirements, what information did you use to reach your Final Selection?

Shot a few deer with the .243 and 6mm Rem in my teens. Both of them worked but were marginal for me at that time, lack of shooting experience was a factor no doubt. I did loose a couple of deer that I shot poorly. Lucky for me I have not lost a Deer since.
I can't tell you how many deer fell to a 30-06. I also learned that a 180 grain bullet in the shoulder of a whitetail made a big freeking mess. Even on lung shots 300 yards or less showed considerable blood shot in the rib cage. I put the .270-280 and the 7x57 in the same power class as the 06 give or take a few foot pounds. More than needed.

Took 2 with the 300 Win mag at moderate range while moose hunting, a great big bunch of too much power for such tasty critters. I never figured my self to be a pussey but on the bench that rifle kicked me way to much and I sold it.

I read many favorable posts here and in other places about 6.5mm cartridges.I also talked to quite a few of the older fellows at the ranges that I shoot at. The majority of them praised the 6.5x55 Swede. I decided on the 260 Rem as it was in the exact rifle type I was looking for, was close to the Swede in performance curve, and burned the powders that I use most for my other rifles and have on hand.

I have found it to be a very good cartridge for what I intended it to do, easy to load very accurate light in recoil, with just the right blend of power and penetration for big deer. Shoots more than flat enough for me. Filled up a freezer and 1/2 with it last season.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
great question.
1st i pick the caliber
say 30 cal, when i decide which cartridge

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
then i post again with the rest of my answer
theres always a couple to pick from,out come the reloading manuals and i cross reference my choice and the competion, yes brass availability barrels bullets powder all come into the mix, as does action and what its being built for.manuals tell alot its easy reading and it helps me choose,heck they shot more than me anyway,regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i looked in a load manual, also looked at the reloading pages on this site, the tests accurate reloading did. I knew i wanted a 7MM so just looked at the 7MM ones. i had a rem 700 LA so, obvious choice was 280, but went 280 ackley (nosler brass had an influence on this) dont have the rifle back yet.
also weight, Velocity, recoil and how many others have the same cartidge are something i consider.

and maybe just because its what yourve always wanted?

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 3006 has to be the one for me It can be used from anything from squirrehunting to bear if you reload. The 110 fmj bullet with pistol powder is great for squirrel hunting (reduced loads ) . Forgot my load but it was with unique powder . Check a good source to start.

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote