New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loose Bullets in my .223 reloads
 Login/Join

posted
Hello folks,
First post, as I am normally a pistol guy. During a Service Rifle match I noticed some of my 77gr SMK bullets appeared to be loaded short. Inspection revealed that the bullets, loaded in 2009, could be removed by hand, or pushed into the case by hand, so I stopped shooting. For some reason, my Nickel R-P cases were worse than my brass Hornady cases. I found the Expander Button diameter to be .223 in my RCBS SB sizing die. Is this normal? I swapped for a .222 button that I had saved back, and all appears ok now.
Since I had a few hundred primed cases that had the loose neck, I cheated and ran each of these through my Redding Bushing Neck Sizer with the decapper rod run in. I am hoping this is ok to do with an AR15, since it seems to work ok and holds the bullet tightly. The bushing is a .224 Nitride bushing.
Does anyone know if I can buy a selection of Expander buttons from RCBS, and do they make Carbide buttons?
Thanks for the help.....Amanda

Posts: 2 | Location: Beaumont, Texas 77707 | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your expander button was a bit oversize. Sometimes brass will reduce neck tension over time. I have even found split necks on some of my old reloads that I know were not split when originally loaded.
Generally taking the expander out of the die and carefully chucking it in a drill then polishing it will reduce the diameter enough to solve the problem.
Or you can call RCBS custome service and they will probably send you a couple new expanders at no charge.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, Blacktailer, why make it simple?? With a little effort, you can make it complicated. To say nothing of promoting the need to buy several "thingies". Wink

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a Redding bushing die?
Is there any chance you cheated and used this die before? If so your bushing might have been too large large. Redding dies make carbide expanders. I do not know if RCBS makes carbide expanders but their catalog is on line and they are only a phone call away during the week.

>>The bushing is a .224 Nitride bushing.<<
I cannot figure this out?
your bullets are .224

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
SR4759-
The bushing is indeed .224, as that is the size the Redding rep recommended after I put a micrometer to several of my loaded rounds with SMK 77gr and 80gr bullets seated. Ths is the first time I have used it, since it was bought for a bolt gun that I have yet to order. So far, the neck tension was corrected after I lubed the neck area and ran the primed cases into the neck sizer with bushing installed. I then wiped off the lube and loaded with VV and a 77gr SMK. I guess the thing that surprised me was seeing the .223 Expander plug in the RCBS die. Once I replaced it with the .222 Expander, things appear to be ok. I was curious if a .223 Expander plug is the normal way these dies are set up?
Thanks!
Amanda4461

Posts: 2 | Location: Beaumont, Texas 77707 | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rcbs does sell different sized expanders.
i had a 7.62x39 that came with a 311 and i just bought a 310 for it.
they expect, kinda/account for spring back of the case.

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i'd check the seating die, as well, as it might be a tad high -- but i lee factory crimp every 223 that comes off my press..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38640 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso, do you have a picture of what the Lee crimp looks like on the .223

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda4461:
SR4759-
The bushing is indeed .224, as that is the size the Redding rep recommended after I put a micrometer to several of my loaded rounds with SMK 77gr and 80gr bullets seated. Ths is the first time I have used it, since it was bought for a bolt gun that I have yet to order. So far, the neck tension was corrected after I lubed the neck area and ran the primed cases into the neck sizer with bushing installed. I then wiped off the lube and loaded with VV and a 77gr SMK. I guess the thing that surprised me was seeing the .223 Expander plug in the RCBS die. Once I replaced it with the .222 Expander, things appear to be ok. I was curious if a .223 Expander plug is the normal way these dies are set up?
Thanks!
Amanda4461

I have .22 Hornet, .222 Rem. and .223 RCBS standard die sets. They all have a .223 button.

A ,224 dia bushing cannot be correct since your neck probably measures about .234 to .236.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote