New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder question for a .223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also use the collet/bullet seater/crimp die Tasunkawitko.I think it is like peas and carrots though.

You CAN crimp a non-cannulared bullet with it easily,but I just like to snug a bullet in the case.Some have found trouble with collet dies not having the neck tension they want and polish off some metal off the mandrel.I just use the FC die to seal the deal with ease.

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep...The far left is 26.2 grains...not grams Eeker I had 12 total shots at that target and I only have 3 holes on the left side and 11 holes total on the paper. I am positive the one on the left was the flyer. Thanks again for all your input. The 2.300 seemed to fit perfect. The bolt closed just like it normally does with no issues. Mick is that you in the pic? I bet that was a fantastic hunting trip......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haha...no that ain`t me.Does look like a great hunt though.Farthest West I`ve been is Little Rock.I guess I`m a true Continental Easterner.

Again that shooting range is beautiful.

I would work on those two loads mentioned and forget the rest.I still think the Benchmark load with 55gr bullets will work well.I think you`ll find a keeper in the next of the two bumps up.

Obviously the 52gr bullet with H335 stands out from the rest.

Curiously enough the 52 gr bullet with a max charge of 25.7gr of Benchmark is the accuracy load in Lyman 48th.But you already know what I think about max loads and individual rifles.

Moreover,once you get your press and bullet seating die the flat base 60grVMax is a viable option.And may work well with your rifle`s twist rate.

Lymans 48th also states a 1 in 9 twist can stabilize the Sierra 69gr HPBT bullet....but at that bullet weight ya may as well shoot a .243Win IMO unless you are a competitor.

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A load that I 'discovered' years ago, is 28gr of H380 and the 55gr Nosler BT. I've used it in the many 223's that I've owned and it has never failed to be a great performer.

Willie B

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Next time I drive to Reno to purchase bullets or other stuff I may get the 69gr just to see what it shoots like. I would be curious to see what the difference would be from my 55gr bullets. I know I will have to wait for my press to get here first though... I actually am really happy I am learing how to reload on the Lee Classic Loader. I am learing a lot and it is giving me a chance to try quite a few different loads in small quantities. Once I find 2 or 3 that shoot really well like the one I had today I can start ripping them out on the press. Since the press will deprime the old shells for me it will save me time on my loads. The only thing that I would love to make quicker is the deburing and chaffering. My hands kill me after doing 50 rounds of that stuff. I am on vacation next week and I am going coyote and rabbit hunting a few days out in my back yard. I will post pics if I get anything. Good night everyone.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Willie B:
A load that I 'discovered' years ago, is 28gr of H380 and the 55gr Nosler BT. I've used it in the many 223's that I've owned and it has never failed to be a great performer.

I've used that load out of Hodgdon's 26th manual...That is a darn good load and also low pressured... which can add dramatically to brass life...

not top velocity potential, but it sure is accurate, isn't it?

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I'll only say "I told you so" if a story has a happy ending, so .. Wink

If you decide to try the 69's and also decide to moly them, I have a short-range (200-300 yards) load I shoot for Service Rifle practice using 23.3 grains of H335 that's even MORE accurate! Same 2.25", BTW. It's just piddlin' along a couple steps below max but speed means little when hunting paper.

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree most of my shooting has been at paper. Speed really does not matter right now. Eventually I will be varmint hunting that's why I have the Hornady V-Max Bullets. Here is what happened today. I am not sure how much wind speed plays a part in accuracy at 100 yrds but it was 15mph winds with gusts to 25mp today. Here is some pics and what loads I used.

This was my best of the day: 50g Hornady V-Max - H335 25.2g - BR4 primer - OAL 2.300

A very close second best: 52g Sierra - H335 26.2g - Win Primer - OAL 2.300

Now this was my worst load: 52g Sierra - Benchmark 24.4g - Win Primer - OAL 2.300

Now this is the one I wanted to talk about, It's the only one I loaded 8 rounds of the same: 52g Sierra - H335 25.8g - Win Primer - OAL 2.300. This is the exact same load that I shot the other day. The only difference was that instead of using 25.6g of powder like I used the other day I bumped it up to the 25.8g for today's rounds. I could not believe the difference in the group from just bumping up the powder .2g. Here was the target from the one that only had 25.6g of powder.

If I lowered the powder to 25.4g do you think It would give me a closer group than this last pic since when I raised the powder level it spread the groups out?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The load in the top pic is a nice load without a doubt.Very good shooting in the wind!See if you can duplicate the performance.You may want to see what happens at 200yds with it.

As far as the load you bumped up,bump down to 25.4gr and see if it tightens a little.It may be the ticket for the 52gr bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
looking really good, digger!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks you guys. I would not be where I am at in the reloading process without your help.

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Digger, given that a 10mph full-value wind should blow that bullet about 3/4" at 100 yards (roughly), you probably shot what we target geeks call a "weather report".

Notice that the vertical dispersion for both loads is pretty close with the 25.4 a skoshe shorter. This is something I look for, especially for ammo that'll be used at long range (beyond 800) because it's a fair indicator of the uniformity of the load.

I'd just shoot the 25.4 grain load and call it good, myself. Varminting ain't benchrest!

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote