Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets for sale!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Apparently we have all been doing it wrong for all these years. Hornady thinks we should test each charge 200 times

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I like Hornady Bullets, they are easy to work up a load in most of my calibers I shoot.
I mostly shoot 1-20 round ladder at 200yrd. Generally, I will have 2 sometimes 3 nodes to work with. I shoot over a chronograph. I note bullet drop as well.
But 200 rounds, way in excess.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:

That video is really long. I watched a little more of it after posting this and they later say that 60 rounds is a good string. I guess that is fine if all you ever do is make bullets and shoot them, but 60 rounds per powder charge is certainly not realistic in my world.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The more data points, the better your conclusions will be statistically.

If I was writing a reloading handbook, maybe that makes sense. Shoot each charge weight multiple times through multiple barrels.

If I tried to do load workup with 200 charges at each point, I'd have to rebarrel half way through and start over.

Its statistics vs. working practice.

Fundamentally what they seem to be saying is that from a statistical standpoint, load workup is invalid- find a load you like and shoot it from the manual.

Doesn't necessarily fit my experience, but some really good barrels shoot everything well... and some really bad barrels shoot everything equally badly. Its the ones that most of us end up with that work with some and not others that are the trick.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I try to shoot slowly at the range, to save my barrels (having heard that one shot loosens molecules, another straight after washes the first lot away). So, I examine primers and check the case expansion when working up loads, note down velocities and impact of the bullet before shooting again.

If I were to shoot fast enough to expend 200 bullets in a session or two, soon I'd need a new barrel and have to start again, as crbutler points out.

In a way, the Hornady advice reminds me of the intructions on many things we buy. If we followed every detail we'd go mad before dinner.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without boring y'all with how I develope my load, I return to the range 3-4 times over weeks to re-check the load to KNOW where it hits and how tightly it shoots a group from week to week. Then we KNOW what it does in our rifles.

Yes, my bro and I burn through components getting it just right but that's what I want to spend my money on anyway.

200 with the same load: Nope!

If it doesn't shoot pretty well right out of the gate, we move on the either a different bullet or different powder.

Over the years, I've also noticed that if a new barrel doesn't shoot well right out of the gate, It's going to be a battle finding what it likes. I've rebarrelled more than a few when they're too picky.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've since watch the whole video and I agree that usually our sample set is too small but it all depends on our expectation and application.

Minute of deer at "normal" ranges is one thing. A coyote that hangs up at 600+ yards is another.

Who is changing what they've always done after watching this podcast?

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
Without boring y'all with how I develope my load, I return to the range 3-4 times over weeks to re-check the load to KNOW where it hits and how tightly it shoots a group from week to week. Then we KNOW what it does in our rifles.

Yes, my bro and I burn through components getting it just right but that's what I want to spend my money on anyway.

If it doesn't shoot pretty well right out of the gate, we move on the either a different bullet or different powder.

Over the years, I've also noticed that if a new barrel doesn't shoot well right out of the gate, It's going to be a battle finding what it likes. I've rebarrelled more than a few when they're too picky.

Zeke

How my own approach developed is quite similar to this. I went to load testing / confirmation at 200 rather than 100 yds, usually finding this a better indicator of a loads potential to shoot well out to 400 yds. And, as above, once decided on some particular load, shooting this again during at least a couple more range sessions to both further chronograph and recheck accuracy to determine the loads consistency and reliability. Gotta weed out freaky loads that shoot nicely one day, poorly the next. Then, if all is good I shoot 250, 300 and 400 yds recording bullet drops.
Also agree about not wasting time and components on wonkg barrels. Replacing barrels is spendy and heartbreaking but saves much grief down the track. Done it twice myself and transformed wayward rifles into great shooters worth keeping.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:

Zeke

How my own approach developed is quite similar to this. I went to load testing / confirmation at 200 rather than 100 yds, usually finding this a better indicator of a loads potential to shoot well out to 400 yds. And, as above, once decided on some particular load, shooting this again during at least a couple more range sessions to both further chronograph and recheck accuracy to determine the loads consistency and reliability. Gotta weed out freaky loads that shoot nicely one day, poorly the next. Then, if all is good I shoot 250, 300 and 400 yds recording bullet drops.
Also agree about not wasting time and components on wonky barrels. Replacing barrels is spendy and heartbreaking but saves much grief down the track. Done it twice myself and transformed wayward rifles into great shooters worth keeping.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Have been reading through my old 3rd edition Hornady loading handbook lately and noted that they comment in regard the 264 Win Mag that there are no free lunches as the saying goes. They said that they burned out several barrels in developing the loading tables in their book for the four bullets they provide loading data for.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a guy that burned out the throat in his 265 win at 700 rounds..rebored it to a 338 win..I know of others who claim bout the same in print. I suspect bore abuse, even so thats not a good thing..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, Kimber thinks you should run 500 rds through their pistols before complaining about poor feeding.

quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
I like Hornady Bullets, they are easy to work up a load in most of my calibers I shoot.
I mostly shoot 1-20 round ladder at 200yrd. Generally, I will have 2 sometimes 3 nodes to work with. I shoot over a chronograph. I note bullet drop as well.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote