THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    At what point do you consider a caliber ceases to be a wildcat?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At what point do you consider a caliber ceases to be a wildcat?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
At what point do you consider a caliber ceases to be a wildcat?

Is it just SAAMI specifications.

With all the custom ammunition makers these days, it seems just about every caliber is loaded for.

Would you consider the Lazzeroni and Dakota calibers as wildcats?

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
MIKE375,
To the best of my knowledge the sole criteria of wildcat is if the cartridge has ever been factory produced, Years ago Browning offered a rifle in .22-250. This was while the cartridge was still a wildcat. The fact that a factory rifle was offered didn't change its wildcat status. Good luck. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I would think someone has to make a factory rifle & factory ammo. My favorite, the .338-06 for example, is now made by Weatherby in a rifle & they make ammo. So it barely makes factory status. If (2) manuf. make ammo for it, then I think we are really out of the wildcat status.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fredj338,

I was thinking if ammo and factory rifles are chambered and also rifles and ammo have official distributorship on a world wide basis.

If that was a reasonable basis, then Wbys would not be wildcats and neither would the 338/06 but Lazzeronis and Dakotas would be wildcats.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
It is no longer a "wildcat" as soon as a factory releases packaged ammunition for it.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When no factory crackers are available.

What happens if brass for a wildcat can no longer be obtained ??? what does one do with a rifle in this calibre then ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make your cases from something else. That's half of wildcatting anyway. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:

What happens if brass for a wildcat can no longer be obtained ??? what does one do with a rifle in this calibre then ??

Then you either invest in a lathe to modify brass or turn from bar stock, or you consider a re-chamber or re-barrel.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a cartridge has head stamped brass available I would no longer consider it a wildcat. Therefore I don't consider the Dakota or Lazzeroni cartridges wildcats.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:

You do what "wildcatting" is all about...you find a case, improvise, adjust, and innovate!

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jungli Bains,

Does it matter who does the head stamping?

Is a 585 Nyati a wildcat?

Mike

<500 AHR>
posted
Point of clarification. Calibers aren't wildcats- cartridges are.

In the USA a cartridge looses it's wildcat status once it has been set up with SAAMI specification and been mass produced by a ammunition manufacturer.

<500 AHR>
posted

[ 09-04-2002, 20:55: Message edited by: Todd E ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

My definition may be a bit simple as to where a cartridge ceases to be a wildcat. I consider the Dakota and Lazzeroni cartridges as proprietary. If the .585 Nyati is available with headstamped brass and someone chambering rifles for it then I think it could be considered a proprietary round. I not familiar with the .585. I think Ross Seyfried developed it. This subject is full of gray areas. Some wildcatters developed cartridges and were the sole source of ammo, brass and rifles. Their brass was not headstamped with the cartridge's name, just the parent cartridge name. Years ago Roy Gradle developed a line of widcats made from .348 WCF brass. The forming of them was only a little easier than reversing a sex change operation. This made it nearly impossible for anyone to do, so most of his customers bought formed cases from Gradle and loaded the ammo themselves. He also supplied loaded rounds as well. All the brass was neveer the less headstamped .348 WCF. I still consider them to be wildcats. Once a source of headstamped brass becomes available things, to me, are getting out of the wildcat area. Who ever does the headstamping, assuming the brass is made to the designer's specifications, is probably not important.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it's a wildcat if
1: it's not been factory produced, as BOTH rounds and gun

it's obsolete if
1: it's no longer factory produced, either

IE: 358/378 weatherby is a wildcat, 348/356/358/5mm rem are obsoletes.

jeffe

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
As far as Im concerned its no longer a Wildcat when the cost of dies are cut in half. [Wink]

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
As far as Im concerned its no longer a Wildcat when the cost of dies are cut in half. [Wink]

A darn practical guy... good answer!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ross Seyfried did develop the .585 Nyati. Rifles are not made by any company as far as I know but an individual contracts a gunsmith to make it.

So is the .585 a wildcat ??. I certainly had never heard of it until I visted the Bertram brass factory. The next time I learned about it was on this forum. I did read about it in a sporting shooter mag. Karl had written to Nick Harvey about his .585. [Wink]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote