New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR powder -vs- Accurate powder ???
 Login/Join

<bearlake>
posted
Why is the IMR powder cost so much more then the Accurate? like the IMR 4350 -vs- the accurate 4350. Are they the same powder? Is there any diff between the two besides the price?

IMR 4350 8lb=$109.99
Accurate 4350 8lb=$69.99

<BigBob>
posted
BEARLAKE,
While the two powders are quite close to each other, the Price difference is in name brand. $70.00 for a eight pound can of powder is a very good deal. A powder you may want to look at is the Hodgdon's line of extruded "EXTREME" powders. These powder are not affected bu temperature changes. As a result, the load you work up in the summer is the same load you shoot during hunting season. I hope that this is of some help.

------------------
BigBob

one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience in 30-06 is that the Accurate 4350 powder is just a little faster than the IMR, and produces slightly lower muzzle velocity. In my Swede, the Accurate works really well.

Not to be contentious, but the Hodgdon claim of temperature insensitivity is more marketing hype than real help. I have tested several of their powders, cold and hot, in several different cartridges. In a few cases, it works as advertised. In most cases it does not. Still, I use their products where appropriate.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Another difference is that IMR makes their own powder, Accurate buys lot-to-lot from the low bidder. Sometimes in Australia, sometimes Chech, sometimes China.......... Makes lot-to-lot consistency a little more difficult. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Keg of Accurate powder, that say's Republic of South Africa.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I bought some Accurate #2520 and the data was wrong or the powder. The pressures ran really high. Thankfully my pet rifle was not damaged.

A little bit more in price is worth it to me.

On the other hand imr powder is $19 a pound here retail and the Alliant and Hodgdon brands are similar. Am I buying it from the wrong place?

one of us
posted Hide Post
In our town, Hodgdon runs $16-17, Alliant a buck or two higher, Accurate sometimes a buck or two less.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I buy 8lbs at a time, I pay from $59 to $74 for 8lbs of Accurate.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote