New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Max woes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Knowing that I was moving into loading some oversized cases (.505 Gibbs, for example), a friend of mine made me a present of an RCBS Big Max press. Unfortunately, it did not come with the adapter for 1" dies and was fitted with the universal shell holder, which will not accomodate really large case heads. This led to a call, first to Huntington's and then to RCBS for the necessary adapters. I was informed that the 1" adapter was available, but the shellholder adapter, which would allow the use of standard RCBS shell holders, was not. Moreover, the price for the 1" adapter was $49.00 and with shipping the total cost was over $60.00. I chose not to pay that much.

I know that I have other options for the large cases, but it is really irritating that RCBS puts out a product and then stops servicing it. Since I have nothing in the press, I suppose I'll just give it back, but this certainly leaves a bad taste in my moutn about a company whose products I have been using and recommending to others for over 50 years. I think I could find a machine shop which would make both of these items for me for less than what they want to charge for the one item.

one of us
posted Hide Post
At 65 plus a hr for machine time good luck in finding a shop that can do it cheaper.

You need a big press, price going out and buying one that fit your needs.

Buy the adapter

Posts: 19448 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yout are using cases that cost $3 or $4 each and shoot bullets that cost $2 each with a powder charge that costs almost that much?
Yeah the bushing is over priced but get real man. That press has not been made in about 20 years. You might find that bushing in a McMacmaster-Carr or similar hardware catalog.
Buy the bushing and move on

Use a little creativity. That universal shell holder will bring at least $100 maybe more on Ebay. Suddenly you can be $$ ahead.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
www.ch4d.com
talk to dave davidson

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38640 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't let that press go. They are one of the sturdiest and straightest (more important) ever made. Check on Ebay

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote