Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes X TARGET bullet, anyone
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted
Was surfing the net last night, checking bullet offererings at different manufacturers. Found the following link at the Barnes site about a new Target grade "x" bullet:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/prod1.htm

Since I don't shoot a .30, I'm reserving judgement. The prospect is tantalizing, I must admit....... Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I wonder what accuracy they test each batch to? I usually have a lot of trouble getting their bullets to shoot well in my rifles.

There's nothing magic about 168 grains - I think it's pure symmetry that determines the accuracy of a bullet. The BC just determines how far it carries.

If that's right then the turned solid copper bullets, like GS Custom's HV and the old turned Barnes solids should be tack drivers. (I got great results with the turned GSC FN bullet.) Do you think these new Barnes are turned?

I have some of Gerard's (GS Custom's) HV bullets in .416 on the way. I can't wait to try 'em. The FNs hardly fouled in a barrel that was prone to foul with gilded bullets.

I have some of the old Barnes turned solids in .30 cal (165 gr. Spitzer boattail), they fouled so badly they were a pain in the butt. I moly coated 'em and they still foul badly. I think I've got 30 of 'em in the basement if you want to try them.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like Barnes has heard the fussing of those who've had poor accuracy results with X bullets. An X bullet that's accurate across a broad spectrum of factory rifles would be a fabulous addition to the hunting reloader's choices.

BigIron

one of us
posted Hide Post
When i checked the link out and found the first line saying:

"Fact", the most accurate bullet in the world is the 168 grain match bullet weight and design.

This made me loose a bit of respect to Barnes. To make a statment like that is, at least in my eyes, quite unprofessional for a big bullet maker.

The X bullets I have tried in my .308 have fouled badly, with or without moly. The accurasy have been bad to.

If Barnes have made a .30 X bullet with match accuracy it would be a exellent bullet for hunting, that�s for sure.

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Don, I'd also be interested to find out if these are turned. I, too, have GS HV's on order (6 mm and 7 mm), as I have heard only good accuracy reports. The same thing for the other turned bullets on the market, from Warren at Lost River Ballistics.

Personally, I have never had problems with the X-bullets, but then again, 1 moa three shots groups are plenty fine for me. Simply because I don't shoot at things more than about 250 yards away, unless they are varmints. However, for those sniping at such things as antelope, coues or barren ground caribou, that extra accuracy could well be needed.

I think Stefan put his finger on a sore spot for me with Barnes, also. They tend to forget to reign in their advertising company as they should. However, if they have truly worked on developing a bullet with an inherent higher level of accuracy, they've done us all a favor. Wonder how they will price them? Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
BigIron,

I think you may have hit the nail on the head - "broad spectrum of factory rifles".

I don't know if Gerard uses a different alloy, or if it's the driving bands that makes the difference, but this topic made me remember my test data with his 380 gr. FN. What strikes me now looking back on it is that all the groups were good over a 12 grain spread in powder load. That was with a factory barrel known for fouling.

I've been playing with a digital camera at work, so I took a picture of the best group, I posted it in the original thread on the Big Bore Forum:

.416/380 gr. load

Forgive me for bragging!

Have you shot the LRB bullets?

Don