Find
Notify
Tools

.22 Hornet recommendations...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
I would greatly appreciate any powder, bullet, and primer recommendations that you've had good luck with in regards to this cartridge. The rifle is a new Kimber 82 "S" series .22 Hornet. Dies are Forster Bonanza Ultra seater and FL sizer though I'm strongly considering a Lee collet die for sizing. Brass is new Winchester. I've been considering trying the 37 grain Stark bullets with Hogdon Lil'gun powder and Federal small pistol primers. Would appreciate your input. Regards, Matt.

[This message has been edited by Matt in Virginia (edited 02-10-2002).]

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
<George Capriola>
posted
Matt,
Definately Lil'Gun. I like Federal small pistol primers, but have always gotten best accuracy with small pistol primers instead of small rifle primers. I like the Hornady 40 grain V-Max, the 40 grain Berger MEF's, and Starke's 40 grain varmint bullet. I seat them .020" off the lands, but you'll want to experiment with that.
Definately Winchester brass, too. Uniform the primer pockets and deburr the flash holes, full-length size and trim them all to the same length. You'll do better if you weigh the brass at this stage, and sort it into groups of +/- 0.1 grains. The Hornet case is small, and volume differences can be seen on the paper 100 yards away.
Some folks also sort by rim thickness, since the cartridge headspaces on the rim. I've done some of that, but found little measurable accuracy gain. Try it, once you've got a load dialed in and are at that "tweeking" stage.
You can fill the case with Lil'Gun (it'll hold 13.1 or 13.2 grains) without worrying about excessive pressure.
Regards, George.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt I use 11 grains of win 296 behind the 45 grain sierra .224 hornet bullet overall length is 1.710". I use rem cases and the rem 7 1/2 primer. No matter what combination I tried I could not get my CZ Hornet to shoot with any other primer but a rem 7 1/2. I tried win primers and federal with differing powders and combinations, but the rem primer is the only one that works, go figure.

Regards PC.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt in Virginia:
if you run across any WW 680 try it.i use it in my two Hornets and 218 bee.Iknow they dont make it anymore:but if you stumble on some try it.it shoots the best out of my guns.good luck and good shooting

Posts: 46 | Location: Friendship,Wis. USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen to what grandpao said. Mine loves a 40 grain Nosler ballistic tip over 10.5 grains WW680 sparked by CCI Small Rifle primers. I know WW680 is no longer produced, but I think Accurate Arms makes the same powder but under a different ( their ) number. As soon as my last can is used up I will be trying Accurate Arms formulation.

<cobra>
posted
13.0 gr of Lil'Gun, BR-4 primed and a 37 gr Calhoon Dbl HP out of a simple NEF is nasty out to ~150 yds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I greatly appreciate your input. I will be sure to post my results amd most likely further questions. Thank you, Matt.

[This message has been edited by Matt in Virginia (edited 02-11-2002).]

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote