THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

110 grs. Hornady V-Max bullets for 300 Winmag?
 Login/Join

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375RUM:
Hi Tomsky

I use the 110grs Sierra HP in several 300 wm's with spectacular success! i can't imagine that the VMax is much better than the Sierra HP, at 3600 fps from a 24" tube it's absolutely devastating!
My load is 80grs of N160, WW cases and Fed 215 primers (try popping of a 300 winmag at -25c without a mag primer...)
The Sierra is cheaper too....

Greetings from a fellow Norwegian ;-)

Greetings 375RUM.

I use a WW super case with 83 grs of N160,Fed 215 primer and V-max.Gets 3721fps without no signs of case pressure.Used two shots at two plastic cans with water,approx. 4litres.No exit hole on any of them.They just blew up.That is what I call a "Real mean killing machine" Big Grin
I'm sure the Sierra hp are just as good as the V-max.
I'm going to try the Speer TNTHP.That one is also a fun bullet to use.Please share your loadings if you want like.
Also real hunting loads,for deer and so if you have some.

Posts: 41 | Location: Norway | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pdhntr1:
Tomsky,

Tested N560 this weekend and would have to say it is too slow for the 110 grain bullets. Went up to 84 grains and got 3750 fps out of a 30" barrel, but only 3430 out of a 23" barrel. It sounds like you found a good load.

If you were shooting your reloads in the cold, and will be hunting in warmer weather, make sure you retest your loads at the warmer temperature. Try to stay near 3700 fps with this bullet. Above 3700, you can get a bullet that will come apart before it gets to the target. Don't want you to lose a big seal.

Good luck and let us know if you get any seals.

Jim

Hello Jim.
I'll use the loads that hits just over the Nosler 150grs loads I have.1" or 2" over so I dont have to adjust my scope so much everytime.
Easiest way to do it.The V-max has about 3700fps then.Thats hard enough for me and the seals. Razzer

Will let you now how it goes.......

Tomsky

One of Us
Picture of 375RUM
posted Hide Post
I've tested several 125grs TNT's with the 300 Winmag: Save them for the 30-06 or 308win, most of them worked OK, but some blew up in the air, I even tried different lots of TNT's with the same erratic result. Same results with 2 different rifles - both with very good barrels.
They will ofcourse work if you download them a bit, but that's no fun :-)

Posts: 44 | Location: Norway | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
No point in these bullets if you can't fire up some speed with them Cool
Tested some V-max now today.
I get the same precision as the Nosler balltip 150 grs.Almost in the same hole also.
Will load the V-max a little harder so it goes an inch over the Nosler balltip.
I got 3650 fps with those loads.Thats enough for this bullet.
(Using the WWSUPER cases makes me change all my loadings.Got more speed with these cases)

Thanks for all the replyes I've got. wave
Will come back with more when i've got some seals to tell you about. thumb
Maby some pictures, if I learn how to insert them to this forum. bewildered

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
Hello again.
The 300 winmag has been out with some 110 grs Hornady V-max bullets hunting for seals.
Holy shit this thing works. nut
Everything abowe the bullet entrance was gone.An I meen GONE Big Grin
The head exploded in a cloude of blood, brain, teeth and meat. Every one I shot did even float.
We were lucky in our hunt, because we did find 6 seals in a lagoon were their retreat was right beside were I was posted on shore.
Shot 5 of them in 8 minutes. troll
It was blood everywere. Brainmass and eyeballs floated around the boat when we picked up the seals from the water jump
This was the funniest hunting episode of my life. And the bloodiest of them also. thumb
Thanks for all help in realoding this bullets.
(the biggest seal I shot, was a "Havert". 205cm long. Was only soup left in his head boohoo Big Grin)You can see a pickture of one I shot 2 years ago on this link.
http://www.sluttstykket.com/blinkskudd/albums/userpics/10054/normal_My%20Pictures0045.jpg2.jpg

Tomsky

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Congrats, a fun hunt. Thanks for posting the picture.

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. This is a nice trophy.

Can you eat them?

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, this is a nice trophy.

Can you eat them?

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duk:

Of course you can eat them. Tastes like chicken? bewildered

cheers
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
FURocious:

I read your 2-11-05 post with interest. You mentioned your experience with V-Max on creatures and I would like to know details. Have you compared the Nosler BT to the V-Max performance on animals. I was interested in using a 58g. V-Max in a 243 driven at high velocities (4000 fps) for some hunting applications. I hope you get the chance to respond and yours is the only response asked for!!!

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Way to take out the BIG varmints. I am glad the v-max worked so well. Wish I could have been there to "toast" the kill. beer

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DUK:
Congratulations, this is a nice trophy.

Can you eat them?

Hello.
Yes, you can eat them, but we prefer to eat the smallest ones. This seal has one of natures biggest collections of bacteries on their skin and in their mouth, so we have to be careful when we use knifes on them.
The meat on the "Steinkobbe" is much safer to eat.This seal is smaller then the one on the picture. It's latin name is "phoca vitulina"

Here are some links you can see some types of seals.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jaap/harbseal.htm

http://go.kvasir.sol.no/g/http://www.cresli.org/cresli/seals/hbrseals.html

http://go.kvasir.sol.no/g/http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/accounts/phoca/p._vitulina.html
Search the web for more , and use the latin name and Norwegian name.

Tomsky

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tomsky:
They eat about 60kg. of fish every day, so you see they are a disaster for little fishing comunnitys .QUOTE]

This is not the truth, and I'm sorry, but it was one who works for the goverment on the fishing and hunting section that told me this. bawlingAnd he didn't now better than to just "fart" out a number.ASHOLE shame
I'm sorry .My mistake. sofa

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pdhntr1:
Tom,

Way to take out the BIG varmints. I am glad the v-max worked so well. Wish I could have been there to "toast" the kill. beer

Jim

Hello Jim.
This hunt we can proudly present as " Red Water over kill" gunsmile
The meat will be toasted and eaten this weekend.

Tomsky