THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

110 grs. Hornady V-Max bullets for 300 Winmag?
 Login/Join

Picture of Tomsky
posted
Hello.
Im new on this site.I`m from Norway beer.Have one question for you. Smiler
I wonder if anyone of you have tried to reload the 300 Winmag with the Hornady W-max 110 grains bullet?
I`v got a few datas , but searching for more.
I am using Vihtavouri N160 and N150.
American powder is very exspenciv for us in Norway, because of the taxes Mad, so we got Vihtavouri and Norma powder choose from.
thumb

Posts: 41 | Location: Norway | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what exactly you are looking for, since you can only use Finnish powders, but I referenced my Hornady manual and Sierra balistics calculator and found the following:

Bullet: 110gr VMAX
Powders: Varget, IMR 4064, RL-15, AA4350, IMR 4350, H 4350
Max charges in same order: 69gr, 69.2, 69.4, 77.5, 78.0, 81.3
Max Velocity: 3700 FPS @ 70 (F)
Brass: Hornady
Primer: WINMAG

Remington 700 with 25" bbl:
100 yds = +2" (Zero)
200 yds = +2.5"
300 yds = -.95"
400 yds = -9.18"

Posts: 185 | Location: IL | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Tomsky,

First of all, welcome to the forum.

I have been shooting the 110 V-max in my custom 300 winmag for about 5 years now. 400-500 rounds per summer. The effects are no less than spectacular on Prairie Dogs. You didn't mention what you were going to shoot with them, but keep in mind it is a varmint bullet.

You can get these bullets to come apart before they hit anything. 3700 fps seems to be about the practical limit. I have run them up past that but the ones that come apart can be really hard on the muzzle break. Eeker Smoothness of the barrel has an effect on them also.

I am using IMR 4350 so can not help you on the loading at this time. I am away from my loading manuals right now, but I am assuming by your question the VV manual does not list a 110 gr. bullet.(??) Regardless, I will check later and see what I can find.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
Hi.
I`m going to use this bullet only on seals (yes, I hunt seals.)Look at the picture on the side, there you see one I shot few years ago.It was 265cm long, and 150 cm around the chest.They eat about 60kg. of fish every day, so you see they are a disaster for little fishing comunnitys .The point is to get their head to explode, so they don`t sink.
Don`t know what you on this site think of this hunting, but for us they are a menace.
Have the charts from VV, and they have one load for 110grs.but i was looking for some loads that others have tried.(sorry if my English is crappy, it`s been a while since last time i wrote.)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tomsky:
Hi.
I`m going to use this bullet only on seals (yes, I hunt seals.)Look at the picture on the side, there you see one I shot few years ago.It was 265cm long, and 150 cm around the chest.They eat about 60kg. of fish every day, so you see they are a disaster for little fishing comunnitys .The point is to get their head to explode, so they don`t sink.
Don`t know what you on this site think of this hunting, but for us they are a menace.
Have the charts from VV, and they have one load for 110grs.but i was looking for some loads that others have tried.(sorry if my English is crappy, it`s been a while since last time i wrote.)

Tom:

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about your english, it is a million times better than most of our speaking Norwegian is.

Don't feel guilty about shooting seals if they are a nuisance to your community and its livelyhood. If some "politically" correct moron doesn't like it, remember they do not live in your community so what right do they have to complain one bit about it. If they don't like it, capture a seal and send it to them for them to keep as a pet in their bath tub.

When I first saw this thread, I thought you guys had to be nuts. However, in the application you speak of that is perfect for that reason. I also wonder about the effect of a high velocity 110 grain SP Hornady for that application.

And for PDhunter, 110 grain V Maxes in an 300 Mag for prairie dogs is hard core. Until you get to that part about exploding the crap out of them.
I wish I knew why that was so addictive. I am going to have to play with that one a little bit.
That sounds like some fun.

Cheers
thunderbolt.

Posts: 70 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Tomsky,

60 KILOS A DAY??? Damn, thats over 130 lbs of fish. And I thought I was a pig at the "all you could eat fish frys" Smiler

That sport sounds like a hell of good time to me. Get us some beer, load up the 300s, and pop some seals. This has to be local varmint hunting (Nowegian Style) at its best.

My concern is that of Thunderbolts. I do not know the structure or strength of a seals brain case and am concerned the V-max will "blow up" on the surface rather than inside. Have others used this bullet successfully for this application?

If so then how soon do you need the loading info? I think I can get some VV 150/160 from my buddy and let you know what I find out in the next several days.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
that sounds like way too much fun. can i tag along?

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi.

Like others said, don't worry about your English or shooting seals. I wish we could shoot some down here as they absolutely devastate us along the California coast when we're fishing. Since we have complete protection on these "Furbags" they have lost all fear of man. Last year they had a sea lion climbing into fishermen's boats eating bait and the crew wasn't even allowed to scare it off the deck.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tomsky:

If you could move up to a 125 grain or even 150 grain Ballistic Tip, I would think you would accomplish the same task with a lot more reliability. but if the V Max is working out for you, who are we to question success in the field.

There are a lot of "experts" on here who have not done it, but sure claim to know about it. I try not to be one of them tho.

Cheers
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pdhntr1:
Tomsky,

60 KILOS A DAY??? Damn, thats over 130 lbs of fish. And I thought I was a pig at the "all you could eat fish frys" Smiler

That sport sounds like a hell of good time to me. Get us some beer, load up the 300s, and pop some seals. This has to be local varmint hunting (Nowegian Style) at its best.

My concern is that of Thunderbolts. I do not know the structure or strength of a seals brain case and am concerned the V-max will "blow up" on the surface rather than inside. Have others used this bullet successfully for this application?

If so then how soon do you need the loading info? I think I can get some VV 150/160 from my buddy and let you know what I find out in the next several days.

Jim

Hello Jim.
This is the bullet whit a big B!!!! to use on seals. We aim at their head when they surface.It explodes for real!!Their brains are soft, so they die imediatelly. No need for V-max but the fun is for real.
I don't worry about Thunderbolts, because the V-max exspands when the bullet hits paper.
Take two pieces of papertargets, with one 2 feet behind the other, and you well see that the last target has a slightly bigger hole in it.
Looking forward to hear from you, when you have loaded this bullet.Have no rush.
I also use the Nosler ball.tip 150grs. and it works perfectly, but I want the seals to float.

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Tomsky,

quote:
This is the bullet whit a big B!!!! to use on seals. We aim at their head when they surface.It explodes for real!!Their brains are soft, so they die imediatelly. No need for V-max but the fun is for real.
jump

I am laughing so damn hard I am crying. I am printing this, and it is going on the wall in the shop for those times when my spirits need a lift.

My buddy has some VV 160. I will "mix" some up this weekend and get back to you next Monday with some loading data. (I can't stop laughing)

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot VMAX bullets at a mild steel plate at 100-300 yds with a .22-250 and my .308 and they put one hell of a divot in the plate, penetrating about 1/4". I just don't beleive the accounts of a VMAX bullet exploding on hide or skin.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tomsky,

quote:
jump

I am laughing so damn hard I am crying. I am printing this, and it is going on the wall in the shop for those times when my spirits need a lift.

My buddy has some VV 160. I will "mix" some up this weekend and get back to you next Monday with some loading data. (I can't stop laughing)

Jim

There's good ol' boying going around all over the world! Its pandalerium!

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FURocious:
I've shot VMAX bullets at a mild steel plate at 100-300 yds with a .22-250 and my .308 and they put one hell of a divot in the plate, penetrating about 1/4". I just don't beleive the accounts of a VMAX bullet exploding on hide or skin.

You haven't tried the V-max, you have tried the a-max.No point in lying in this forum.
"Pandalerium",Whats that!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tomsky,

Oh, so that is what happens when you read the box upside-down! The "A" turns into a "V"!

Try the help the man out, and he calls me a liar! Damn foreigners!

No, I know what I shoot and what I saw. I've been shooting V-Max bullets for years.

Its possible that a V-Max would react to steel differently than skin or hide. Since the steel doesn't bend or move, the entire bullet base is able to drive all the way through to the plate. Skin or hide is far more elastic, allowing the bullet to fragment much more, thus with less mass to drive into a small point.

However, of all the coyotes, and small fury things I've shot, I've never had a bullet "blow up on the hide" without good penetration.

Pandalerium is a slang term used in a Redneck stand-up performance in place of “pandemoniumâ€.

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
Hello FURocious..

Everybody i have spoken with, says that the V-max bullets are built to function like the Speer TNT. bullets.They are made to explode on impact,therfor the name TNT.
We shot a fox with a cal.6,5-06 and V-max 95grs.
The bullet expanded entering the fox and blew away the hole rearend of the fox.If thats not an explosion, I don't no what is.

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
https://www.hornady.com/shop/popup_images/Bullets_VMAX_pop_r2_c1.gif

here is a user's guide for the V-max bullets.

Quote:
"The polymer tip increases the ballistic coefficient and improves accuracy, while also initiating dramatic expansion on impact, even at low velocities."

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
Sorry.Didn't work. Roll Eyes
Try https://www.hornady.com/shop/

posted Hide Post
You might try the Speer 130gr.HP. Cheaper than the V MAX, very accurate, can handle the velocity and blows the crap outa things. One of the more empressive bullets I've used. Blowing up seal heads.....if they would only let me in the Ballard locks.

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
I would like to think we could keep things in perspective.

My question to Tomsky was a valid question given the circumstances. I am in NA and know the performance of V-max bullets on game in this country. He knows the performance of V-max bullets on game in his country. It is his bullet of choice and that is all I need to know. The performance of any V-max bullets on game in this country should not be an issue, or at best, an issue that should be addressed by starting another thread.

Tomsky, I will post data on Monday. Have an enjoyable weekend.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tomsky, you’re missing the whole point bubba.

Before I get any more users guides on bullets I've been using extensively for years on multiple animals and told I don't know what I'm shooting, my entire point of the post was to say I don't believe someone is going to shoot at a seal head, or coyote hide and have a 110gr V-Max fragment like a movie prop glass bottle and not kill, blow, up, or destroy the target.

I am a proponent of the V-Max, I've killed many a creature using them. I understand and have witnessed their wild fragmentation and explosive tendencies on animals. An animal isn't going to dust off a V-max hit and keep running like nothing ever happened. The V-max will penetrate enough to disrupt tissue.

So Tomsky, I've been on your side the entire time, but you went high and right from the start and didn't comprehend my postings. Hence, I said explode ON hide, not explode hide.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought this might be fitting about now!

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
quote:

Before I get any more users guides on bullets I've been using extensively for years on multiple animals and told I don't know what I'm shooting, my entire point of the post was to say I don't believe someone is going to shoot at a seal head, or coyote hide and have a 110gr V-Max fragment like a movie prop glass bottle and not kill, blow, up, or destroy the target.

I am a proponent of the V-Max, I've killed many a creature using them. I understand and have witnessed their wild fragmentation and explosive tendencies on animals. An animal isn't going to dust off a V-max hit and keep running like nothing ever happened. The V-max will penetrate enough to disrupt tissue.

So Tomsky, I've been on your side the entire time, but you went high and right from the start and didn't comprehend my postings. Hence, I said explode ON hide, not explode hide.

Sorry FURocious.
As I said in the beginning, My English aint as good as it used to be.Misread your at first, but now I understand.
We shot a Fox with the 6,5-06, and the bullet made a hole in size about 15mm entering the hide.The fure on the Fox was so hard to penetrate (Winter time)That the bullet expanded on impact and blew up the Fox.Your 22-250 should get this efects also, with the velocitys this rifle gets.

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to think we could keep things in perspective.

My question to Tomsky was a valid question given the circumstances. I am in NA and know the performance of V-max bullets on game in this country. He knows the performance of V-max bullets on game in his country. It is his bullet of choice and that is all I need to know. The performance of any V-max bullets on game in this country should not be an issue, or at best, an issue that should be addressed by starting another thread.

Tomsky, I will post data on Monday. Have an enjoyable weekend.

Jim

As true as anything.
Waiting to hear from you Jim.Be carefull in the loadingprocess, Jim. Have a powerfull weekend.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sorry FURocious.
As I said in the beginning, My English aint as good as it used to be.Misread your at first, but now I understand.
We shot a Fox with the 6,5-06, and the bullet made a hole in size about 15mm entering the hide.The fure on the Fox was so hard to penetrate (Winter time)That the bullet expanded on impact and blew up the Fox.Your 22-250 should get this efects also, with the velocitys this rifle gets.

Good deal, keep us updated on the exploding.

I have been thinking what seal hunting must be like. In fact, that is the closest I think I would ever come to fishing because I would be looking at the water, but with a gun in my hand! Do you have to stalk them and crawl up close, or do you sit in a lawn chair drinking coffee up in a high place and snipe them off?

if your using "ain't" in your English, your not too far off!

Shoot true!

one of us
Picture of Stark
posted Hide Post
Tomsky,

My only experience with seal hunting is in Alaska, with an Alaska Native doing the shooting, (not legal for us 'non-natives') out on St Paul Island. His preferred caliber was the .243. I'm not sure what he was using for a projectile, something factory loaded would be my guess. But he, like you, wanted the seal to float in on the tide so he could recover it.

I think the V-max would be more than sufficient for you, after all, a seals head is not as hard as say a cape buffalo!!! Wink

Good luck!!!

Ruger SRH in .480
Howa M1500 Thumbhole Varminter in .223
Bowtech Extreme VFT

Posts: 36 | Location: Willcox, Arizona | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Good deal, keep us updated on the exploding.

I have been thinking what seal hunting must be like. In fact, that is the closest I think I would ever come to fishing because I would be looking at the water, but with a gun in my hand! Do you have to stalk them and crawl up close, or do you sit in a lawn chair drinking coffee up in a high place and snipe them off?

if your using "ain't" in your English, your not too far off!

Shoot true!["

We use a boat to hunt the seals.Rides slow and just waits for the seals to show.Then we follow them until they are close enough to shoot.From 0-250 yards.Their head's are realy smal at 250 Yards,so it ain't that easy to hit.They have a head in size of a big coconut.
I'll see if I can find some links to show you.
Is it possible to show some images on this site?
Got some pictures of a seal I shot last year with the Nosler balltip.Nice one.Eyes (popt?) out Big Grin, and the back of his head blew of.
We have rules of seal hunting in Norway, that we only can use bullets with the same velocity and size as on big game hunting(Norwegian moose and Deer).The limits are set to 150 grs bullets and up, and the smallest cal. allowed to use is .270 and 6,5-55.I dont agree with that, but rules are rules homer.AND THEY ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN troll

Tom

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan in Wa:
You might try the Speer 130gr.HP. Cheaper than the V MAX, very accurate, can handle the velocity and blows the crap outa things. One of the more empressive bullets I've used. Blowing up seal heads.....if they would only let me in the Ballard locks.[/QUOTE)

Hello Dan in wa.
I'm going to try the 130 grs.speer hp.
It has almost the same effect on seals as the V-max.
Have also one 125grs. caled Speer TNTHP thumb,That one is realy mean.I will try both these when I'm done testing the V-max.

Tom

"Nice response on this site"
Keep it coming!

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
http://www.norsafari.com/

Her is one link to sealhunting.

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Tom,

I guess I am not going to be able to help on this one.

I got over to my friends place on Friday night and all he had was N560 and N165, he did not have any N160 as he told me. I was not real happy with him. We tried finding some on Saturday, but I could not find any 160/150 within 200 miles of me. If you want me to work up a load with 560 let me know. I think N165 is going to be too slow.

My opinion is N150 would be the powder to use. It seems to be only slightly faster than 4350. Using 160 (a slower powder) you may not be able to get the speed you want, before the case fills up. I wish I would have been able to try though.

Anyhow, sorry about that. If you want a load using N560, let me know. I have that in the shop now.

Jim

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
Anyhow, sorry about that. If you want a load using N560, let me know. I have that in the shop now.

Jim[/QUOTE]

Thanks for tryin,Jim.
You may try to load some bullets with the N560 powder if you want to. thumbI'm using all the information I'm getting.
I now that the N165 is to slow, and often used with 150grs and 180grs bullets, and I think the N560 is slower than the N165 and used more on heavyer bullets.Like the N170.
Just try it for the fun of it.I'll use it if it works.
I'm also waiting for a silencer to use on my Tikka Master allweather 300 Winmag. Big Grin
Then the kittens around my house, can come over for a visit when ever they want.(they take a dump,I shoot.Good deal,eh?)
300 Winmag and 110 grs V-max must be the ultimate scene to watch gunsmile Wink thumb

Tom

one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
"I'm also waiting for a silencer to use on my Tikka Master allweather 300 Winmag.
Then the kittens around my house, can come over for a visit when ever they want.(they take a dump,I shoot.Good deal,eh?)"

I believe you will feel very much at home on this site...LMAO Razzer

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Tom,

N560 is the double base brother of N160. It is discribed as "high energy" in the VV manual. It contains nitroglycerol to form a second base. It has the same burning rate as N160.

I will load some up and let you know what happens.

Jim

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
I believe you will feel very much at home on this site...LMAO Razzer[/QUOTE]

Have met some realy kind people her, and I'm satisfied with the answers I'm getting her on this site. beer

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tom,

N560 is the double base brother of N160. It is discribed as "high energy" in the VV manual. It contains nitroglycerol to form a second base. It has the same burning rate as N160.

I will load some up and let you know what happens.

Jim

Thanks Jim.
Will try some loads with the N150 and N160.
I have to calculate the loads from N160 and down to the N150 first.Scary the first shot, but we only live twice thumb, so we have a second chance.eh? Wink

Tom

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Tom,

If I was able to find some 150 to try I was going to start with 72 grains and work up from there, using a magnum primer in WW brass. N150 and IMR4350 seem to be very close in burning rate and I am using 78 grains of 4350 in my 300winmg which has a long barrel. At 78 gr. of 4350 in my gun there is no pressure signs on the primer or brass so I could go several grains higher.

Pulling the trigger on an untested load can be scary. Study the loading manuals and burn rate charts and then make a decision. I have found a little excitement in life makes the beer taste better.

Jim

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tom,

If I was able to find some 150 to try I was going to start with 72 grains and work up from there, using a magnum primer in WW brass. N150 and IMR4350 seem to be very close in burning rate and I am using 78 grains of 4350 in my 300winmg which has a long barrel. At 78 gr. of 4350 in my gun there is no pressure signs on the primer or brass so I could go several grains higher.

Pulling the trigger on an untested load can be scary. Study the loading manuals and burn rate charts and then make a decision. I have found a little excitement in life makes the beer taste better.

Jim

Thanks again Jim.
The bullets are coming home with me tomorrow.So on Saturday me and the crony is moving towards the shooting arena for a test.Will start at 72 grs and work my way up with the cronograph.
This will be a hole lot of fun. jump thumb

Picture of Tomsky
posted Hide Post
I have now tested the V-max bullet in my 300 Winmag.This bullet rules. Cool
Loaded with vvN150 74.5 grs and vvN160 83 grs, i got 3721 fps.And the bullet did explode when impact thumb
Will try more next weekend( had some sno and bad weather this weekend).See if they can move even faster.No sign of pressure in the cases and they did deliver very good presicion.
A HOLE LOT OF FUN!!!!!! Big Grin roflmao

Thanks for the help so far, people!!!! Wink

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Tomsky,

Tested N560 this weekend and would have to say it is too slow for the 110 grain bullets. Went up to 84 grains and got 3750 fps out of a 30" barrel, but only 3430 out of a 23" barrel. It sounds like you found a good load.

If you were shooting your reloads in the cold, and will be hunting in warmer weather, make sure you retest your loads at the warmer temperature. Try to stay near 3700 fps with this bullet. Above 3700, you can get a bullet that will come apart before it gets to the target. Don't want you to lose a big seal.

Good luck and let us know if you get any seals.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of 375RUM
posted Hide Post
Hi Tomsky

I use the 110grs Sierra HP in several 300 wm's with spectacular success! i can't imagine that the VMax is much better than the Sierra HP, at 3600 fps from a 24" tube it's absolutely devastating!
My load is 80grs of N160, WW cases and Fed 215 primers (try popping of a 300 winmag at -25c without a mag primer...)
The Sierra is cheaper too....

Greetings from a fellow Norwegian ;-)

Posts: 44 | Location: Norway | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote