THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Best Powder for the .300 Win. Mag/180 grain pi

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Best Powder for the .300 Win. Mag/180 grain pi
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted
I have never used H-1000 with the Barnes XLC( blue), but I have worked with these bullets with RL-22. I have been able to use as much as 79grs of RL-22, for a muzzle velocity of 3032 ft/sec. I have also used 73 grs of H-4350, with this bullet. Muzzle velocity was 3012 ft/sec. Hope this helps.

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with 74gr of H-4831 and 70gr of IMR 4350 and Nosler Partitons. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How many grains of IMR 4831 are you putting behind 180 grain bullets?

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
For the last ten years, my 180 gr. .300 Win. Mag. loads have mostly been built around Reloader 22 powder. I'm amazed at how many .300 Win. Mags. shoot well with that propellant.

The only powder that has equalled it in my experience is Winchester's WXR, which is imported and sold by Winchester. It acts a lot like Reloader 22.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
For those of you that know me you already know I have some set preferences as to what I like to use but I have sold a buddy of mine on the merits of the .300 Winnie and he is getting ready to load up his first batch of 180 grain Accubonds. He posed the question to me the other day "does it really matter what powder I choose?" I responded by saying "it may or it may not, but it has been my experience that some powders will shoot in a certain cartridge better than others". Now I have given him a lot of guidance (read opinions) on what to use and whatnot but I would like him to get some "outside" ideas on what powder to start with. So I pose the question to this forum; what is the best powder in the .300 Winchester Magnum with a 180 grain bullet? If you have more than one powder that you use/enjoy please put them in order of preference.

Thanks.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
The best place to start would be RE22, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Reloader 22 would a good place to start. I didn't start there but it's where I ended up!

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen to RL22...with 180gr. bullets only IMHO.
Never got good results with any other grain bullet.
Great velocity, not great accuracy.

I also would try the 'ol reliable IMR 4831 too. Yeah, yeah, I know you guys like RL22. But, my gun likes IMR 4831 best..sakofan....

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Not that I don't like R22, but the IMR 7828 has always produced great accuracy with velocity in the heavier bullet loadings. It also bulks up the volumne nicely.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
RL 22 H4831, rl25 and H1000

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
RL-22 has worked best for me as well. If AA-3100 were of a finer grain I'd use that, but it's a PITA to meter. Since switching to RL-22 I've had great accuracy, from 168gr MatchKings to 200gr AccuBond. For 165gr Partitions it didn't work well, but with the 165gr XBT it did great. Maybe RL-19 would be better for the 165gr stuff?

I might try RL-25 with some of the 220gr stuff I have lying around, or maybe Retumbo. I could live the rest of my life with just RL-22 though, long as it behaves the way my current 5lb jug does.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
Well there is no doubt as to the value of RL-22 with 180grs bullets in the 300 Win mag, I have also had very good luck with H-4350, and IMR-4831. Velocity usually runs about 3000 ft/sec, and accuracy is moa.

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
RL 22 works like a charm in my .300 H&H.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote