New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frangible Bullets ???????????
 Login/Join

<hotdog>
posted
This question has probably been asked before but I was wondering if anyone is using these new frangible bullets. what kind of grouping and do they have good ballistics. The company is full of good news but I'd rather hear it from shooters that have used them. you can view their site at www.frangiblebullets.com. luck hotdog

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not used them, but note that they are designed for indoor target ranges to eliminate the airborn lead that comes from conventional bullets striking the backstop. These are not hunting bullets (with the possible exception of varmints).

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
<hotdog>
posted
Their claim is that they're not only for indoor but also rifle accuracy loads, but not for hunting,anyone? luck hotdog.

<auto>
posted
Frangible bullets....those are the kind that explode into fragments when they hit something....like a coyote, or squirrel, or most anything really. I have used the Hornady SXSP in 55 grain in my .22-250 for years on ground squirrels. Kills them dead. Work great on coyotes when you would like to save the pelt or hides. Bullet goes in and explodes, killing the coyote. Leaves a small entrance hole, but no exit hole. Others like Sierra call their frangible bulles by another name "blitzking". The thing that makes the bullets frangible is the jacket. The jacket is very thin as copared to the other bullets. Most of the frangible bullets have a warning about not loading them to velocities higher than 3400 fps. Any faster than that, and they will turn to dust in the air. I had some loaded to about 3960 in my .22-250 and they would go about 40 yards and just a small light grey puff of smoke was all that could be seen. They never made it to the target set at 100 meters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had called about these this summer, and talked to their ballistics guy. He had said that he uses them from his .223 Rem for g-hogs and gophers with good results. He also mentioned that they were working on a lighter bullet, around 33-35 gr HP, specifically for varmint hunting. Due to use of sintered copper instead of lead, the bullets are much longer for their weight. He said the 42 gr bullet has the profile of a 62 gr lead/copper bullet so it needs a faster twist (1-9). The new 33 gr bullets should duplicate a 52 gr bullet and work in most rifling twists.

<hotdog>
posted
Thanks for the input fellas if I try them I'll post it. Luck hotdog.