Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need 9mm seater plug help
 Login/Join

posted
I posted this question in another forum, but no answers yet. Maybe someone here can help me.

I am reloading using Montana Gold 115 gr 9mm FMJ bullets (also Speer in same shape). The round nose seater plug that came with the die set deforms the point of the bullets, which are more pointed than round nose bullets.

I contacted RCBS and they sent me another seater plug. Unfortunately, it was not the right one. In order to make sure they got it right, they even sent me the two seater plugs that came with the die set.

I now have 38-RN, 9mm-TMJ and 9MAK-SWC. I need to call them back and try again. Does anyone know which " stock" seater plug I need?

I understand I can send them several bullets and they will make one that will fit that exact bullet, but I figure others must be using something without going through that. Is this my only option?

Thank you!

one of us
posted Hide Post
You could see a turner/machinist and have him alter that seater plug to fit the bullet shape; it's an easy job.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is going to sound smart, and I don't mean it that way, but have you tried belling the mouth of the case just a bit more? Sometimes that will allow the bullet to enter just a bit easier, just enough to eliminate what you see happening.

Other than that, the safest thing is to send a couple bullets to RCBS and have them cut you a seater plug. They aren't expensive at all.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Doubless, good idea. I have tried to go with as little flare/bell as possible. Maybe I created my own problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The center of the seater plug should not contact the tip of the bullet; it promotes misalignment.

Take the plug that comes closest to fitting (you probably have a spare now) and use the right-looking drill bit to deepen the center of the plug. You can then smooth the edge with emery paper.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The cheap & easy way is epoxy steel putty. Mix some up, push it into the plug (degrease first) then put som vasoline on the bullet & shove it in asstraight as possible & then remove it to dry. Clean up w/ a sanding file & you have a custom seater plug.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had RCBS make a custom seater plug. The new plug contacts the bullet in exactly the right place and is giving me good results. It took them several months, but it was worth the wait...all problems solved.