Find
Notify
Tools

Problems with .45-70 cast bullet loads
 Login/Join

<Raven>
posted
Hi, folks!

I finally bought a new Ruger #1S in .45-70, and immediately started assembling 405gr cast bullet loads. Blackpowder is dirty as heck, duplex blackpowder is a lot cleaner, but since it is after all a Ruger #1, I wanted to work up some smokeless loads.

I started with 36.0 grains of IMR3031 behind the Dillon/Meister cast 405gr flatpoint. Accuracy was good, recoil was mild, but looking down the barrel revealed a LOT of unburned IMR3031 granules.

So what's my next step, magnum primer, heavier load, or do I give up on IMR3031 and try something like IPR4198, etc? I'm setting up my reloading bench to try 40.0 grains of IMR3031 this weekend, but only a handful of them to see how well they burn...

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is normal. That is a very light charge, pressure is very low. As you increase the charge and pressures go up the amount of unburnt grains will diminish. You will approach 50 grains with that powder and rifle. Try load designed for modern strong rifles.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Try reloader 7, its an outstanding powder.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Jeff S>
posted
As others have mentioned its a sign of incomplete burning on the powder. 3031 is happiest when operating at slightly higher pressure. Try a slightly faster burning powder...lots of choices...4227 is one

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a second to the Reloader #7 suggestion. For years,my favorite powder in the 45/70 was IMR #4198,but now,all my serious loads use The Rel#7.
Good luck

------------------

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found a H&R Buffalo Classic in .45/70 that the dealer was practically giving away. Worked up some very accurate loads using stiff loads of IMR3031 and Hornaday's 350 grain bullet. Even in that long barrel there was a good bit of unburned powder and residue. I then purchased a Ruger #1 and tried the same loads in it. You could see unburnt powder lying on the ground every time I shot the loads that used IMR3031. I switched 50 grains of IMR4198. Accuracy is great. Recoil is noticeable but not punishing. But there is no unburnt powder or dirty residue left behind.

[This message has been edited by crowrifle (edited 11-08-2001).]