New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seating depth
 Login/Join

<cris284w>
posted
Most accuracy buffs today seat bullets either touching the lands or into the lands..What is the very best method to use to find what the "touch" length is? OR how do you determine when the ogive of the bullet is actually "just" touching??

<Bill>
posted
The easiest method is to get your hands on a Stoney Point Overall Length Gauge, this has a modified cartridge case that holds your selcted bullet in it. When inserted into the chamber of your rifle it premits you to determine at what length the bullet engages the rifling. From that measurement you can subtract .005"-.025", or whatever length you see fit.

The other method is take a fireformed piece of brass and indent the mouth in a bit. Then take the bullet in question and color it with magic marker and insert it just inside the case mouth. Carefully chamber this into your rifle, close the bolt fully and then slowing remove the whole thing. The marker will act as a witness mark and tell you where the bullet engages the rifling. This method does not seem to work quite as well as the gauge.

<George Capriola>
posted
I start out with a "culled" case, decap & full-length size it, then cut a slit in the neck with a Dremel tool. I start the bullet in the case mouth, then chamber it in the rifle. The rifling pushes it back into the case, and then I measure it with a Sinclair comparitor. I'll take the measurement 3 or 4 times, to be sure. I can push out the bullet out with a pin punch or brazing rod, and I can tension the case neck by just squeezing it when it gets a little loose. You definately need a comparitor, since the bullets all vary in length by a few thousandths.
Regards, George.

<cris284w>
posted
Good answer George//thanks for your help!!