Notify
Tools

FL sizing and not setting the shoulder back
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Dave, That is an excellent question. My answer really was intended as an "approximation" for the Thingy users. However, a person can get to that "approximation" in at least two ways:
1. My work required the measuring of a lot of things in about any way a person can think of, physical measurements with precise tools, CMMs, Comparitors, gauges, meters, oscillograms from an oscillograph or oscilloscope, sound devices, strain gauges, thermometers, comparitors, altimeters, static meters, rfi, emi, eyeballing, feel, on and on.

The first Method is simply an educated "guess" from the feel of the Bolt Closing and is not intended as an abslolute. Not everyone would be able to "guess" as close as someone who has done a lot of measuring.

2. The die is a 7/8-14. 14 turns to move it 1". 1 turn = 0.071428". 1/8th turn = 0.0089285". 1/64th turn = 0.001116". Likewise, this second method is also an "approximation" which came by putting a Witness Mark on both the FLR Die and on the Press and watching how much the turn amounts to.

NOTE: For Woods, You can use "Duct Tape" or Masking Tape to make the Witness Marks on. Big Grin

Also 1/64th turn is "approximately" 5.5deg or 0.9375min(about 1min on a watch dial). So if you are familiar with looking at a Compass or an Analog watch, you can also approximate it that way by looking down on-to the top of the FLR Die.
-----

However, when doing it the way I do it, I don't need to know "how much" the actual Compression happens to be, I just go by the feel. The original "approximation" of 0.0010" - 0.0015" was intended as a Reference Compression for all the Thingy users. Depending on the Case, Chamber and Dies, it would be close to what I desire, but in no way intended as an exact value.
-----

That was a fine question. I hope I was able to explain my thoughts well enough that the answer makes some sense.

By the way, Woods uses a totally different Resizing Process which provides excellent accuracy for his rifles. Plus it keeps 3-8 different Die Manufacturers in business. Wink

I'll guess that few people on the Board do the Resizing Step exactly alike. But, in the end most folks are happy with their results. My way works well for me, but a person should use whatever makes the most sense and makes the most accurate ammunition for them.

Pretty long winded explanation to only end up with an approximation. Thanks, but I'll stick with my thingys.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dave, I figured it was fairly clear in the post that it was an "approximation" since I used the word "approximately" within the sentence - slight Interference Fit, approximately 0.0010" to 0.0015" compression, minus Headspace.

quote:
Since you apparently had no clue what "approximately" meant, and asked about it:
How in the wide, wild world of shooting sports can you measure the above if you don't have a thingy?
I figured it would take a bit more verbage.

I hope that explains the "long winded explanation" to your satisfaction. If not, I can tell you what to do with "your Thingy". rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
I hope that explains the "long winded explanation" to your satisfaction. If not, I can tell you what to do with "your Thingy".

moon I said thanks. Isn't that good enough?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote