New
Find
Notify
Tools

AA 2230 in 458 WIN MAG.
 Login/Join

<jagtip>
posted
In the Speer and Hornady manuals,I've noticed that AA2230 is listed as showing exceptional performance in the 458 win mag.I've also noticed that the Accurate arms manual(fifth edition)recommends a much lighter charge as maximum.Has anyone out there used it?Results?Temperature sensitive pressures?Actual chronograph readings?Any feedback would be most appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ran some loads on "Quickload" using 65-68gr AA2230 with a 500gr Barnes solid. The highest usable load I could get was a bare 200fps. Anything higher went to excess pressures very quickly. The 450gr Barnes got some good velocities though.FYI

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ran some loads on "Quickload" using 65-68gr AA2230 with a 500gr Barnes solid. The highest usable load I could get was a bare 2000fps. Anything higher went to excess pressures very quickly. The 450gr Barnes got some good velocities though.FYI

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
<jagtip>
posted
Dr Duc....Thanks for the reply and input.Your figures jibe very closely with the accurate arms manual.Still disappointing though.The speer & hornady manuals show much heavier charges with 2200 fps acheived.Guess I'll just stick with the old tried and true........If anyone else out there has a different experience,I'd appreciate hearing about it....Thanks...jagtip