New
Find
Notify
Tools

358 Win and 225 gr Sierra Game kings...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I went to the range last week and shot a ladder using x-terminator powder and 225 SGK's out of my 358 BLR. It was cold and I was grinding through 5 different powder weights with three shot groups. I really was not checking my spotting scope..I just wanted to be done.

When I went down range to check my targets, I had a group about the size of my thumbnail right at 44.5 grs of X-terminator. Sweet!

My question: I have read that the larger caliber Sierras are a bit tougher than the smaller game kings. Was thinking about using this load as my standard walk about load where the game encountered might be deer or elk.

Is this bullet tough enough for a shoulder shot on elk?

Any insights or experience from other 35 cal shootes would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
this is my fav 35 caliber bullet .. i ahve shot pigs, deer, rams, and blackbuck with that bullet, more or less 2500fps . excellent, accurate, and deadly .. ranges from 170yards to 10 feet (flushing boars) ...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I on the other hand found them way too soft on game.

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
It's one of my favorite bullets for the 358 Win.
I also like the NBT/NAB in the 358. The Ruger and Winchester short actions will accomodate the long bullet.

Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The Sierra 225 Gk was my favourite bullet in my Win Mod 70 358 win. It was very accurate with 3 shots in one hole & great on game like Red deer. I believe it would do very well on Elk out to 200 meters. I would recommend it over the 200gr bullets any day.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the the responses. Will continue to work up different loads and bullets.

If nothing else, the SGK will make great practice rounds.

I have had no luck getting 225 NP's or NAB's to group.

Worked up a great 250 gr Speer load.

Now working with 200 gr Barnes TSX's...back to the range soon.

Cheers.

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great post. I just ordered a barrel for a 35Wheelen build and was wondering about the Sierra offerings.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
iirc, i preferred win748 for this, with a win LRM primer ... i DO recall my load .. it used to be publised by winchester in their paperguides for the 250gr ..
i used same charge, lighter bullet

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Kreyten, I have some of the 225gr Sierras and they sure are a fine looking bullet - like a long range missle. Big Grin I can't comment on how they work on Elk, but they do fine on Deer at 350RemMag velocities.

However, my go-to 35cal bullet of choice is the 200gr Hornady SP. It is tougher than a lot of bullets and do their best when they first make contact with a Shoulder and angled on into the next Shoulder - again on Deer. If they are placed Lung-to-Lung, there could be some long tracking involved.

My prefered 35cal is the Original Fred Barnes 200gr SP, but of course they are no longer made.

Darn shame about the Partitions not working well for you. Just remember an Elk's Shoulder is a HUGE Target, even out as far as a shot should be taken with a 358Win.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote