New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old LEE Loader still gets it done!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Bought some PPU .222 Rem ammo recently on sale. Range time was disappointing with 3-4 in groups. So I shot it up for the brass. I decided to just neck size the brass with an old LEE .222 Rem loader. The kind you hammer in and out. I used nothing but the kit to reload with except to weigh charges on a powder scale. Bullet was a 55 grain Hornady SP on top of 19.5 grains IMR 4198. Primers were Rem 6.5. Rifle is a 1972 Rem M700 Varmint Special. Bedded and free-floated, w/target crown. In a 15 mph steady cross-wind and 1.5 in of dope I fired five, five shot groups at 100 yds. Three of the five were 3/4 inch with the other two about 1 inch. I think I paid $20 for that kit.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
I got my first LEE Loader in '64. 8x57 Mauser.
The LEE Loader neck sizes only and it is well made.
The loads I did "on the cheap" always shot well.

Still have several of them.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I have one in 45 Colt I bought back in about 1978, now you have got me wanting to dig mine out and try it again. It is a far cry from my Hornady L-N-L AP setup but it was/is quite efficient at loading.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect many of us oldsters started on Lee Loaders, the hand tools. I started with a 12 ga in 1967 or there about. Then in 1974, I graduated to metallic, 357 mag, 25-06 and 7MM mag. loaded many rounds with them.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
1966; 30-30; I loaded over 1000 rounds on that thing. I still have it.
I recommend that every new reloader start out on one and learn from there. There is a posting close to this one about a guy who is in the learning stage and is bogged down in minutia; too much info too fast and he is drowning from drinking from the fire hose.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
never owned one started with a tru line jr. loaded 38on it till a couple years ago

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You missed out on some great experience. But when you are high school kid back in the hills in the 1960s, you start out on Lee Loaders.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I started with a 12ga in 68. Tried one of the standard Lee loaders in .308 and did fine. Then, bought one of the Lee Target Loaders. Wow! I have five of them that I still use ... along with three rifle presses, 42 die sets etc, etc, etc. I learned more from the original Lee set and the tgt loaders that really helped me later on.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You missed out on some great experience. But when you are high school kid back in the hills in the 1960s, you start out on Lee Loaders.

In 1968 I spent the summer on my grandfathers farm. When he saw me hitting the Lee loader with my plastic hammer at the kitchen table he banned me to the old cook house. He said something about a young kid not blowing up his house.

The main problem with the old cook house was the wasps didn't like me banging on the work bench either.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Used a Lee on my 6.5Jap for years. Actually never bought any other dies. Lost count of the number of 20ga I loaded all through HS with a Lee.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Started reloading on a Lee Loader for my Remington Model 600 in .308 Win around 1964. The 600 is on my wall. The Lee Loader is in a trunk in the garage. Those were the days.

When I moved up to an RCBS Rock Chucker, I thought I was a King.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started off with my Reloading 30 years back with a Lee Loader in .303 British. I have purchased one of them for each caliber I am reloading just for the novelty value.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In '66 a friend of my dad's gave me a circa 1907 Winchester 1894 rifle in 32 Spl. Saved up $9.95, bought a Lee Loader and started reloading. Still have the rifle and the Loader. Dad's buddy is still around (he'll be turning 90 soon). I call him every few months to see how he's doing. No matter what we talk about he always asks if I still have the rifle. It makes his day when I tell him yes I do, and yes I still shoot it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I got started in 1967 on shotgun shells, then in 1969 started on .300 Win. Mag. I still have several of my Lee Loaders, and occasionally use them when loading for some of my guns.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
I started with one to reload 38 and .357 ammo. I think it actually resizes the case all the way down to the rim. It's been so long I can't remember for sure.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5X55 for me. Eventually 30 06 and 303 Brit. Learned a few basics. Still have the 6.5 and 06 set. The Rock Chucker next did make me feel on top of the world. Going to have to dig that 6.5 set out again...

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of them, a target model for 7 mm magnum, three-inch 20-gauge, might be another one for 7x57mm (can't remember and am not going out in the rain to look for it - I may have given it away with a 93 Mauser I should have kept).

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14603 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I use my Lee to load 10 gauge 2 7/8" for limited shooting I do with both rifle and shotgun in that gauge. I bought a second decades ago in case a part of the first one broke. Very simple, inexpensive, and work well.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rook49
posted Hide Post
The first time I loaded with a Lee Loader was in 1962. My uncle loaned me his Lee Loader and taught me how to load shotgun shells.

Posts: 32 | Location: Hampton, GA | Registered: 14 December 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader270:
I started off with my Reloading 30 years back with a Lee Loader in .303 British. I have purchased one of them for each caliber I am reloading just for the novelty value.

Same cartridge . 1976 . I learned to check for Berdan primed cases right away ! Came to Alaska . Got another 303 SMLE and another Lee loader. Then got a Savage 99 in 358 Winchester . and another Lee Loader. Finally in 85 I started loading on a Rock Chucker . I still have at least one or 2 Lee loaders.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't forget that not too long ago, bench shooters were setting records using kits quite similar to a lee loader.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe from So. Cal.:
I started with one to reload 38 and .357 ammo. I think it actually resizes the case all the way down to the rim. It's been so long I can't remember for sure.

Same here. A box of cast 148 wadcutters, a pound of Bullseye, and my dad's nickel plated S&W Model 10 taught me a great deal. Haven't used it in years and if I did I'd probably use it with my arbor press.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i collect these.. and love them

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote