New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newbie -- questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Background: I'm new to reloading, using Sierra GameKing 165 grain Spitzer bullets to load .30-06 rounds in front of IMR 4064 as per the Sierra Handbook 5th Edition. I'm using a Lee reloading press with Lee dies.

Questions:

1. The C.O.A.L. is listed as 3.330", which makes it look a little long to my eye. I made a dummy round and tried to chamber it in the intended firearm, a Savage 114 Classic, and it seems a little stiff when closing the bolt. Is this a problem?

2. The GameKing does not have a crimp line, so of course I didn't use a crimp. Is this a problem?

Posts: 143 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Is it a F/L die set up according to the instructions that came with it?

2. New brass or once fired?

3. If 1x, was it fired in your rifle?

4. Never mind about the crimp.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
1. Is it a F/L die set up according to the instructions that came with it?

2. New brass or once fired?

3. If 1x, was it fired in your rifle?

4. Never mind about the crimp.
+1

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Yes, a full length die set up using the instructions that came with it.

2. New brass (Winchester). I noticed that the mouth on these was anything but uniform, so I did run them through the F/L resizer.

3. N/A.

4. If I were to be using a .30-06 BAR would that make a difference regarding the crimp issue?

Posts: 143 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
After full length resizing did you measure your case length and trim if cases are long? If you F/L resized it's gonna add length to your case. I shoot once fired cases and not sure if the shoulder will be moved forward enough to warrant bumping the shoulder back down to size on new cases (someone with more experience chime in). Do all the rounds feel tight trying to close the bolt? When starting with a new batch of cases i feed a sized case in by hand and try to close the bolt so i know if it's tight it's not the bullet touching the lands.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it's new brass, but I did measure several to be sure.

I also worked some unprimed brass through the action, and that works fine, so I don't think it's the neck that is causing the pressure.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
you are probab;y stretchin the brass as the expander is pulled from the brass. lube the inside of the neck and resize a couple. chamber them, feel for resistnce as you close the bolt. adjust the die in a little at a time untill you can not feel any resistance.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishing
  • Size the brass as you are now doing.Do not prime.
  • Chamber it.
  • If it easily chambers ( you've just illiminated shoulder and case stretch) blacken bullet with a sharpie and seat it to 3.333"
  • If it chambers hard examine the bullet for rifling marks if none reseat the bullet to about 3.150".If it closes EZ you've solved your problem.
  • If it closes hard you might have a tight neck.
    How does it close with commercial ammo?
    beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Bartsche ... thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

It chambers fine with factory ammo.

Picture of jeffeosso
    posted Hide Post
    heck, try the brass unsized and unprimed

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
    the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
    What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
    476AR,
    http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39563 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I did ... unprimed, unsized brass cycles fine. The neck doesn't get in the way at all.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Problem solved.

I had failed to remove the case lube after sizing. Rookie mistake. Things cycle fine now.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Be sure and swab your chamber out with a patch soaked in brake cleaner.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Nakihunter
    posted Hide Post
    I always full size new brass in any caliber. New brass is not to exact spec as it has tolerances and manufacturing variable that affect shoulder & neck dimensions. If you compare a full sized new brass with an unsized one, you will see the distinct differences in the shoulder & neck areas. I always trim & weigh new brass after sizing to establish uniform lots.

I would also recommend that you try H4350 powder - it will give you more uniform velocities under different temperatures.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11188 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Deertick:
    Problem solved.

I had failed to remove the case lube after sizing. Rookie mistake. Things cycle fine now.

ConfusedI'm a little surprised this would happen unless you were picking up some grit or powder clinging.
    fishingalthough you have solved the problem I forgot to point out another potential candidate.
  • Swelling or buldging at the shoulder body junction caused by your seating die being too far down and the crimping portion pushes down on the neck. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote