THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Opinions on easiest/fastest most user friendly case trimmer?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on easiest/fastest most user friendly case trimmer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted- No it doesn't

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Depends on how you wish to trim. For trimming standard calibers back to SAMMI length I use a Lee Deluxe Quick Trim with the correct die and total cost is about $30. Has worked flawlessly and is idiot proof. I use it for all my BN cases.

It's not vary glamorous, but it works great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For pure case trimming I use a manual RCBS Case Trimmer II with the spring loaded handle and universal head. It is fast and accurate when you use good technique.

However, I hear that Henderson Precision is the way to go:

https://www.hendersonprecision...ri-trim-case-trimmer

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
You've got me looking deeply into this stuff.

I need a case trimmer particularly for the .45-70 but one that can can be made to reduce the length by an extra 1mm (to cope with a very short throat in my new Win 86).

Things like the Lee Quick Trim and Dead On case trimmer appeal but I notice they seem to need special dies for each calibre. This would be OK for the .45-70 but I also have a number of off-beat or obsolete calibres, like the 6.5x54MS, 270 WSM, 375 Win and .450/.400 3", and worry about the availability (if not cost) of getting extra dies for all of them.

Is this the advantage of the old lathe-like trimmers, that if enough shellholders and spuds can be found, they are more adaptable?

If so, which ones offer the most reliable coverage? As mentioned, I took a Forster trimmer back because the largest dealer around could not get me those items even for a common round like the 338WM.

Posts: 4959 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The Lyman has a universal holder and will hold just about anything

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lee case pilot and trimmer works the best for me. Easy to use and all cases are cut exactly the same length.