New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Rigby brass-Hornady vs Federal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been working up loads for my 416 Rigby. I have my solid load at 102gr RL 22 with Barnes banded solids. Velocity was 2380 at about 35 degrees, with moa groups. TSX loads to follow.
The supply pipeline is dry for Hornady brass, and I've gotten some Federal off Gunbroker. These cases seem somewhat heavier than the Hornady. I'm speculating that I may need to reduce loads slightly. Obviously, working up will be in order.
I'm just wondering what other's experience might be like. Is Hornady brass lighter across the board?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't answer your question, but I would offer that maybe try filling two cases with a ball powder, subtract the difference as a percent of the total, then lower/increase your RL 22 loads accordingly. I suggest a ball powder, for measurement, because it will fill the case more efficiently than a stick powder.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hornady is FAR superior to norma .. the federal I haven't used, to spendy

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Federal .416 Rigby brass is Norma brass. The fact that Hornady makes the brass and bullets in-house and does not have to import bullets and brass from around the world cuts their cost substantially.

I have the Norma reloading manual. In it, is a photograph of just some of the headstamps that Norma does for other manufacturers. Ferderal .416 Rigby is displayed, and indeed written about later on.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The specific gravity of brass is 8X that of most powders. Given the same chamber to be fired in increasing the weight of the case 8 grains takes up the same space as 1 grain of powder.
FWIW

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
I have Federal nickel-plated brass as well as Hornady brass (recent). The Federal brass will crimp with my RCBS stuff while the Hornady brass buckles at the shoulder if I try to crimp.

Loading is otherwise the same for both, but I'm conservative / don't push envelopes.

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
turn your dies up 1/2 a turn and try crimping again.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had trouble buckling the shoulders on the Hornady as well. (See earlier posting!) I called Barnes, and they said that with the banded solids, the edges are sharp enough to require belling the case mouth. After getting an expander die, I found I still had to seat and crimp in separate operations to avoid crushing the shoulders.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
I just use the Hornadys for practice, uncrimped with 350-grain SPEERs. Federals are loaded and crimped for hunting. BTW I have Barnes solids and don't crimp them -- all that loadbearing surface avoids the shifting around under recoil I get with softpoints (which is why I crimp).

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote