Find
Notify
Tools

Basic Reloading ????????'s Please help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,

I am new to reloading and have a question. How do you get dies for a wildcat? Lets say you have a custom chambering, and the smith doesn't make dies. What is the procedure to get dies for the custom chambering?

I am new to this so please excuse the question?

Andrew

Posts: 38 | Location: NY | Registered: 28 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
If RCBS doesn't have it in their long list of wildcat chamberings, then contact either Hornady or Redding. Each makes dies based on the drawings of the reamer maker. You'll pay a good price. I think Redding is $130 and Hornady is $85. I've gotten them from both. I used to get them all from RCBS until they quite doing custom work a couple of years ago. Neil Jones also makes them but they run $175.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming you start from scratch, you send you drawings to someone who makes a reamer for you. There are "blank" dies made without any heat treating. You have the person who makes your reamer, ream the die and then have it heat treated. You can find such die blanks advertised in "Handloader."

It is hard to believe, but there are very few new ideas out there. Someone, somewhere has tried it, and you can find an incredible number of dies and reamers available by searching the internet. Ku-dude