Notify
Tools

Conversion tables
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted
Gentlemen,

it�s always an interesting occupation to read about all your loads, improvements and experiences.

But for me there is a not quite easy solved problem: I can only get Norma and Vihtavuori powder in this distant part of Europe. Are there tables or so for converting one powder into another, or another remedy?

Thankfully,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Fritz - There are no reliable conversions from one powder to another. While burn rates can be close to one another, they are not interchangeable. The safe method is to obtain starting loads from the powder manufacturer and then work your loads from there. Both Norma and Vihtavuori have reloading manuals. From this information, you can compare burn rates with U.S. powders to get an idea about load densities and efficiencies.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Kimmo E>
posted
Fritz get Vihtavuori paper manual, on the insigt of the cover it is a tabel.

<Michael Swickard>
posted
Fritz:

Here is a link to a pretty good Burn Chart comparsion. Granted the actual data is not interchangable but it will get you in the ballpark.

http://gunlinks.zibycom.com/members/002245268/Site2/burnrate.html

BTW, having only Vihtavuori and Norma powders to choose from is really not such a bad way to go. I shoot competitive benchrest and use N133 in my 6 ppc, and N135 and N140 in my Hunter benchrest rifle chambered for a 308 Win (Obermeyer chamber)

Hope this is helpful

Ciao

Mike

<Don Martin29>
posted

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some reloading manuals give load data for different powders but apart form basic burn rate differences, often as much as you can glean from the data in the manuals is which powders offer the widest, or narrowest range of weights for a particular load, and the differences between them in pressure & velocity at maximum loading.

I'm not clever enough to know whether this equates to which powder is "best" but I use it to help decide which powder offers the widest test range for a given load.

Here in the UK, Vit and Norma powders are available alongside the rest and though I've not used any myself, I don't imagine you'll go far wrong with the right one for the job.

------------------
tikka 3 barrels

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Kimmo E>
posted
Accurate powder

www.jannesvapen.se

<Kimmo E>
posted